Sunday, August 02, 2015

Rebirth

Was discussing religion and life with a good friend, and he asked, "What makes Christianity so attractive? Why has it lasted?"

Lots of answers to that, I suspect, but for me, it's the rebirth. Not after we're dead, but the new life now. It's the only religion that I know of that says you can be reborn in this life, that you can change by becoming a new person right now. For all the terrible things we've done in its name, it's still offering change, still offering a chance for us to do better, to be better.

It's a reminder that every day is new. Yeah, I guess it sounds naive ... childish ... simple ... but it beats the sad sophistication and empty cynicism that we humans have elevated to an art form.

I make mistakes. I make plenty of them. It's comforting to know that my past mistakes do not define my future, that I am forgiven, that each day I am renewed. And one day we will rise to see the dawning light over the horizon.

No comments: