Saturday, October 06, 2012

Games and the people who play them

I've never understood the compulsion some people have to play games. I'm not talking about chess or football or any regular games, of course, but the people who like to game with emotions and other people's lives. Do they do it for amusement? Because they're bored? Because they have strange needs and goals? Maybe they're just evil.

Whatever the reason, I have little patience with them. Been there, done that, won't be doing it again. Here's a hint on how to handle them: I've noticed they often start a game by telling you a "secret" that they don't want you to tell anyone else. Of course, they always say, "Now, promise you won't tell (whoever is the subject of their game)." I always interrupt them -- rude, I know, but I do -- and say, "Oh, if it's a secret, don't tell me. I tell EVERYTHING. Thanks anyway." Then I walk away.

Because game players like secrets and lies. Nothing sinks their games faster than transparency and truth. Try the next time a game player tries to involve you in their dirty play. You'll be surprised how easily it ends the game. Eventually, they won't even approach you.

No comments: