Sunday, August 15, 2010

No such thing as comfort food

My blood sugar is too dang high. Well, enough of that. Tomorrow we will be back on the straight and narrow. I may be down, but that is NO reason to not take care of myself. I've been using high carb food to comfort myself.

Here, I'll tell on myself. Today I had five tacos for lunch, three glasses of cherry limeade, three glasses of milk, a bowl of Cheerios with blueberries for breakfast, a A1 steak burger from Burger King, small fries from Burger King, a 16 oz Dr Pepper, three Little Debbie oatmeal cookies ... That's all I can think of, but that's enough, and there's probably something I forgot. Well, enough of that. No wonder I've felt tired the past few days. I've let my blood sugar get out of control again.

Truly I'm no different from an alcoholic, but my addiction is a bit more socially acceptable. I'm addicted to carbs and sugar. Time to change that. Food is NOT comfort. The last thing I need now is more health problems.

So tomorrow I start taking back my life. And how are you? I miss the blogging we all used to do. Sometimes I wish Facebook would just go away, but I'd bet everyone wouldn't return. We got out of the habit of writing anything beyond burbs. Wish I could change that.

Talk to you tomorrow. No, really I will. Promise. See you then.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com



2 comments:

Trixie said...

Stephen, at least you see the direct correlation between what we knew as "comfort food" and what it does to our bodies. I've been trying really hard to walk the narrow road and even joined the Y to work out. Add to that spending hours working on the yard last week... and still my BS is sky high. Fortunately I ran out of test strips, so I bought a day or two of denial. Ha! We can tell by the way we feel!

I agree with you about blogging and how Facebook has sucked us away from really writing. I thought Facebook was grand, at first, because it wasn't anonymous like our blogs could be if we choose it.

I miss posting my heart's real thoughts, though, and I may turn to my blog again to see if I can regain that.

Take good care.

Jean said...

You didn't start out so bad -- Cheerios, blueberries, and milk. But I know what you mean. Carbs are my nemesis. Carbs are not my friend, but they try to trick me into thinking they are.

It's easy to say now is the time to take better care of yourself. It's not necessarily as easy to do. Remember, baby steps, and one decision at a time.

Don't forget, if you fudge, that doesn't mean everything else you've done has been a waste of time. That's the carbs talking, trying to lure you in for more. Decitful little monsters, carbs are.

Carbs are the evil villains in our lives.

I've been trying to blog more regularly. Having a preggo cat for the first time ever in my life gives me something to say. Not sure anyone wants to hear it, but it's something to say.

I'm still revising my family post. I'm not sure I want to put it out there publicly.