Saturday, April 05, 2014

E is for effort

"You get points for effort." Really? I've heard that phrase a few times in my life. And it leaves me with a few questions.

First, who is rewarding those points and why do they have the authority to give them? Did they go to college for a degree in point rewarding? Or are they just judgmental and think they're allowed to give points because they're more awesome than the rest of us?

Second, points for what? Can we cash in the points for merchandise? Is there a goal where we reach a certain number of points and win a car? Or win a game? Get a trophy? If they're not worth anything, I don't want them. You can keep your points.

Third, who thinks that phrase is a compliment? People pretend that it softens the blow when they add it after they've told you that you've failed. Here, I'll kick you, and then tell you that the kick could have been worse. Whee.

Fourth, why am I ranting about this? Well, I don't know. I haven't heard it in years, but I read a book recently in which it was used, and I think it made me angry.

Fifth, why angry? Because I get tired of people offering their opinions when they are unsolicited. I know people who believe themselves to be authorities on many things, but they are not. And their willful disregard for facts makes me crazy.

Sixth, when am I going to stop ranting about this? Now.

No comments: