Friday, April 04, 2014

D is for Dance

I always wanted to know how to dance. I was raised in a very religious home, and that was simply something we weren't allowed to do. You could clap to music and maybe raise your hands, but no hip action and DON'T MOVE THOSE FEET!

When I went to college, I took a few girls dancing. Apparently they were torn between horror and hysterical laughter by my dancing. One of them finally told me that she loved me as long as I didn't dance. For many reasons, that relationship didn't last, but now that I think about, maybe that was a reason, too.

These days I dance in the privacy of home, especially when a happy song comes on the radio or plays on the music service. My dancing would still probably horrify any onlookers, but since I'm alone, it's no one's business but my own.

Someday, though, I'm going to meet a girl who dances as badly as I do and enjoys it as much as I do...and we're going to dance the rest of our lives together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can take dancing lessons. No kidding. Get out your phone book or its electronic equivalent and look under "ballroom dance--instructors" or something like that. A few lessons might bring out the Astaire in you!

Also--Youtube. It's got everything.

But it's helpful to be able to dance with the instructor, learn to be part of a couple. Youtube can't provide that--but an adventurous female friend just might. :)