Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Hour Blocks

One thing I’m doing to keep myself on track is using “Hour Blocks.” I set my timer for 60 minutes and then work on one project continuously for that period of time, whether it be household chores, cleaning the garage, bookkeeping, working on Murder by the Mile, filing, the family newsletter, etc. It’s amazing how much I can done that way.

Once I finish an hour on a particular project, then I don’t work on it again that day. Knowing that I only have to spend an hour on a chore I dislike makes it easier to get motivated. I’m not sure I would ever get any vacuuming or dusting done – two chores I dislike – if not for the Hour Blocks.

And naturally, I can spend more time on a task if I choose. For instance, writing can frequently stretch to a couple of hours, particularly if it’s going well. But as long as I put in at least an hour, I feel I’ve made progress. And I have.

No comments: