Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Good Book

Been reading The Book of Mormon and the New Testament, a chapter a day with my roomie. Quite interesting. My roomie is a Mormon or Latter Day Saint as they prefer to be called these days. I've glanced through the BoM at various times over the years, but never read the whole thing, just picked at the pieces of it as it were.

It's always bothered him that I didn't accept the BoM even though I had never read it completely. (I actually think I did years ago in college, but I can't remember for sure. I remember a lot of it, but not all of it, so I might have just read the "good parts."

So I suggested we read the BoM all the way through and the New Testament. The New Testament is quite a bit longer than the BoM so will take longer. I've read the entire Bible through a couple of times, but thought it was time to do it again.

I have an aunt in her middle eighties who reads the entire Bible one or twice a year and has done so for years. She thinks it keeps her mind sharp. I was impressed when she told me about it. She draws much comfort and strength from her reading.

So what do I think of the BoM so far? Well, we've only read 16 chapters so I don't think I can draw any definite conclusions about it. I haven't been bored. I've found a few things that stuck me as wrong that I have discussed with my roomie. Sometimes he has an answer; sometimes he does not. I do think there is some wisdom in it. I'll keep you in the loop as the reading continues.

And that's where I am on that. Talk to you tomorrow.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Amazon.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

No comments: