Tuesday, April 19, 2011

First love

An interesting and somewhat frantic aspect of a timed writing is that you have to keep writing even if you’ve run out of things to say. Or let’s say you started a subject, but then found out you didn’t have as much to say about it as you thought you did. But you must keep typing because the clock is ticking, and the point of a time writing is to get words written as fast as you can even if the words don’t make much sense.

I started this particular timed writing with no subject in mind. I could go over the day, of course, but it was a fairly ordinary day marked by resume mailing, housework, and yard work. I picked up sticks in our front yard for a couple of hours. We’ve had a lot of high winds – but not much rain – and the trees have shed branches like leaves in the fall. I filled an entire large garage can with sticks and still have more to pick up. Eventually my trees will be poles, and I won’t have to worry about doing that anymore. I spent a couple of hours outside and spent the rest in housework, resume mailing, and hurray, writing.

Yes, writing. It’s been a good thing for me lately. I can’t tell you how relieved I am to find I still have something to say. For several months now, my writing landscape has been barren, dry to the bone and beyond. I thought I might be finished. In fact, I was looking around at other ways to pass my time, maybe painting. I don’t have any skill at painting, but I’ve always wanted to spend some time finding out. My mother produced some wonderful pastels. I wish she had done more, but sickness and day-to-day life kept that from happening. My older sister used to paint, and she was quite good, but I don’t think she has painted for years now. If I had that talent, I would pursue it.

I even bought a couple of canvases a while back and started looking at paint supplies. I still might try a few paintings soon, but for now, my first love is calling me. We have books to produce.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

No comments: