Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Catching up on a lot

Sorry. Haven't been here. National Novel Writing Month, job searching, working out at the gym, housework, yard work, and life have kept me buried under. Let's catch up, eh?

National Novel Writing Month

I meant to blog about NaNoWriMo, sharing with you what I learned as I wrote madly. Well, here's what I learned: you write madly during NaNoWriMo. That's pretty much it. There isn't really time to learn things. You have to write at least 1,667 words a day, come rain or shine, sickness or health, richer or poorer. Kind of like being married and lasts longer than a lot of marriages do these days.

Oh, I'm enjoying it. There's a certain amazement as the words tumble out. And the fact I will have another book two-thirds completed by the end of it is a good thing. It's a lot of pressure, of course, but I think the pressure is the secret. You don't have time to second guess your story. You have to get those words, and you have to get them each and every day. Like I said, it's an amazing thing.

Job Searching

Sigh. Well, this isn't a great subject. I never imagined I would still be looking for a job four months after my last one ended. It's quite ugly out there. Not only am I not being offered a job in the fields I'd like at the position I'd like, I'm not even being offered entry level positions. Everyone's scrambling for a job. I'm met people with years of experience and plenty of academic degrees, and they're not able to find employment.

Several people now have told me that I should be write full time. Not that simple, folks. Despite what people think, few authors make their living by writing. Most have another job or have a spouse who is employed. And economical downturn has hurt publishing houses just like all other industries. They're taking on fewer new authors, paying lower advances and royalties, and publishing fewer books. Mid-lists are being trimmed, and people laid off. So ... while writing full time is a dream, I'm not there yet. I need a job to carry me until I can.

Or a spouse with a job that could support us well.

Working out

So I've been walking at the fitness center. I'm up to two to two and a half miles and 10 minutes on the recumbent bike. It's going okay. I can tell I have more stamina and strength. It's just taking a lot of work and effort and energy. I come home drained and barely able to function for an hour or so. Well, it will get better. It has to.

My goal is to be walking 2 miles a day and riding the exercise bike 30 minutes a day by the end of the year. I'm also lifting hand weights three times a day. Not much on that yet, but it will get better. I can tell I need it because my arms ache afterwards.

The goal here is not necessarily to lose weight, but to get healthier. The weight loss will happen -- and I have lose weight -- but I'm more interested in increasing my endurance and strength right now.

Housework

I hate it. Enough said.

Yard work

I've actually been able to do some yard work this month. The exercise is paying off. I wasn't able to rake leaves or pick up branches and trash back in August. I'm excited about how this shows my work is paying off.

Life

Life is as it is. I try to accept things as they come and make the best of them when I can and endure when I can't. Like most folks, I imagine. Money remains my biggest worry and problem, but I have a roof over my head, food on my table, and an Internet connection. I have friends. A God who loves me. I have many blessings. Gotta to remember that. You should to.

Buy Floozy and Other Stories in paperback at Lulu.com
Buy Floozy and Other Stories in hardcover at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com

Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes & Noble.com

Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in soft cover at Lulu.com

Buy Murder by the Acre in hardcover at Lulu.com

Buy Floozy, MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

No comments: