Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Review

Gloria Williams at Wry Words reviewed Floozy and Other Stories. Thank you, Gloria!

Here's the review:

Being of a fan of Stephen Bagley’s mysteries and his thoughtful, funny, and occasionally inspiring website, I eagerly waited for Floozy and Other Stories, his collection of humor columns from various media.

I wasn’t disappointed. From the introduction on, Bagley shows his dazzling ability with wordplay and humorous images. I’ve read the book twice now and discovered a new sly joke each time. Bagley winks at us while inviting us into the joke. The clever codes hidden on the back cover and in at least one chapter were delightful surprises, particularly since they’re not advertised but hidden like Easter eggs. Maddeningly, he refuses to discuss the codes. That’s okay. I like looking!

Several stories in the book stood out. ‘Sex and the Single Novelist’ made me actually spit coffee! I laughed so hard at ‘American History 101’ and ‘Mansquito’ that I nearly busted something. And his twisted looks at the Twilight movies and at the Pilgrims and the First Thanksgiving deserve to be classics. I kept calling my sister to read parts of the book to her until she finally drove over and demanded to borrow my copy. (I bought another one so we could both have a copy of our own.)

I also really enjoyed ‘Tanning My Hide,’ ‘A Hard Day Knighting,’ and many, many others. I don’t think you can find a page that doesn’t have a laugh on it. I expect each reader will have his or his favorites.

A note on the look of the book itself: it’s sharp and attractive. The illustrations (from Dover Publications, Inc.) are funny in their own right and fit the stories as if they were drawn for the book. It’s a good looking volume that will brighten any bookshelf.

All in all, Floozy and Other Stories is a wild and funny ride, one that I’m glad he invited me along.

Gosh, Gloria, you'll turn my head with that! Thank you again.

No comments: