Friday, July 30, 2010

A long story short(er)

I have a few news items to share with you. I'm exhausted today for many reasons so I will try to share the items as quickly as possible.

1. Today is my birthday. I'm celebrating the 10th anniversary of my 39th birthday. You can do your own math. I appreciate all the wonderful birthday greetings I have received. Y'all are awesome.

2. My job ended today. Yes, I became unemployed on my birthday. As you may recall, my boss at the insurance office at which I worked passed away last September. Today the office officially sold to new people whose business plan doesn't include me. After nearly 18 years in that office, I am there no more. I've spent this week moving my things out of my office and closing our company.

3. No, I have no plans at the moment. This happened somewhat quickly, and I'm still deep in the aftershook. I knew a few weeks in advance, but I was sworn to secrecy. (No, I'm not quite sure why.) I wish I could have told you. There were many times when I needed to talk to someone, to vent, to share, but I couldn't. I can now.

4. Well, actually I do have a plan. I'm going to be very quiet for two or three weeks, gather my resources, rest, float in my pool, sell Floozy and Other Stories like mad since book sales will be my only income besides whatever unemployment I receive, and then I'm going to get another job.

5. Yes, I would appreciate your prayers.

6. I'm not defeated or drowning. I do have a knack for survival -- as you know if you've followed my medical adventures over the years.

7. I'm not particularly angry or bitter at anyone involved in this sale. Decisions were based on money and made on that basis only. It's a bit cold, but at least it's reasonable, and I can understand it.

8. Yeah, I'm a bit scared about the future. Who wouldn't be? I've spent nearly 18 years doing my job. I have a particular skill set, but I don't know if that skill set will make me valuable to any other employer. We'll see.

9. Yes, I do believe God will take care of me. But I also believe He expects me to do my part. And I will.

10. Yes, I was hurt by this, but I'm a big boy. The original bounce-n-go boy. I will figure this out. I will be okay. And you will be okay, too. We're going to make a bright future together. You can count on it.

And that's the news for tonight. Now for the commercials...

Tomorrow I'll be at 211 West Main (in front of the Allstate building next to the Chamber of Commerce and three doors up from Polo's Restaurant) signing and selling my books, including Floozy and Other Stories! It's the Ada Sidewalk Sale, and I'll be there 9 am-1 pm. Kyra Childers and Eric Collier will be there with me. I'll have the softcover and hardcover of Floozy there as well as my other books, and you can register to win $200 of Floozy merchandise! Come on by!

Here's the link to purchase the softcover of Floozy: Softcover Floozy.
Here's the link to purchase the hardcover of Floozy: Hardcover Floozy.
And you can purchase Floozy merchandise here: Floozy Merchandise.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a day for you! Float in your pool and just relax for awhile. You've more than earned it. I know everything will work out for you for the better. As scary as it must be not to know where your next pay check is coming from, you know it was way past over due for you to leave that place. You're a great writer so I know you'll do an amazing job writing the next chapter of your life.

Gail

Jean said...

Ouch. I'm so sorry. It must have been awful not to be able to talk to someone about this.

If you need any resume help, let us know. Hubby used to teach technical writing, and he'd be happy to look it over for you if you like.

Definitely get some float time in the pool.

The word for word verification? "verify"

Anonymous said...

Stinks. Prayers always. :)

Erudite Redneck said...

So sorry to learn of this, belatedly. And I'm sorry I've let our blogship flag. :-(

SBB said...

Thanks, Gail, for the encouragement.

Thanks, Jean!

Thanks for the prayers, Jolene!

Appreciate that, ER.