Monday, March 15, 2010

Library again

Well, I came down here to work on the intro to Floozy, my collection of humor columns from various magazines, newspapers, and newsletters. Floozy, by the way, should be coming out in May or June of this year. Woohoo! At least that's my plan. The book needs a funny intro, but naturally the funny river is refusing to flow today. I'll keep working on it. I have a month (Yikes!) or so to get it finished.

Part of the problem may be that there is only one comfortable table in the entire library, or one that works for me anyway, and some other guy is sitting in it. He's not even using a computer. He's just reading. Annoying that he would do that in a library. Whatever is he thinking? Reading in a library? That's as crazy as shopping in a store or running on track! And doesn't he know that table is mine?

Hey, he's leaving. He must have read my thoughts, in which I really owe him an apology for thinking about keying his car.

I gathered up my belongings and rushed over here before anyone else claimed this perfect table. It's mine, mine, mine... Oh, apparently jigs of joy are frowned on here. You think wild whooping is, too? Probably.

So here I sit. I'm finding I do write more here. Less distractions. No TV to turn on. No fridge. No snacks. No chores to ignore. No phone. Just a few people to watch sometimes. It would be cool if our library was open later, but it closes at 7 p.m. I don't write with the same dedication at home. I'll have to work on that.

Jean's been helping me look for a car online. Thanks, Jean! I'm not quite at the point where I have to buy one -- I think -- but it sure helps to know what's out there and what the prices look like.

Oh, I sold two books at my office today. That was cool. A customer came in to make a payment and saw the sign on my desk about the books. Bought both of the murder mysteries, and I gave him a copy of the poetry book. The poetry book is an expensive giveaway, but no one buys it, anyway. I still have about 30 copies of it left. Might as well use it as a reward.

Funny intro, funny intro ... Nothing yet. I will, of course, tell the story of the book and maybe a bit of my history, but it needs to give the reader a good idea of what is come. Or maybe not. Perhaps the book should spring on them, like a lion on a wildebeest. Or one of those gazelles that jump like they dine exclusively on springs. We'll see.

I have so many humorous pieces to choose from. I figure there's a couple of books of material that I can use. Right now I need to choose a hundred or so columns. Out of about five hundred or so. Of course, some of those won't make the cut, either being too dated or too slanted for whoever my readers were when I wrote them. I do know a few things after having read many of the columns over the past few days: I have a fixation on Dolly Parton, I've always been a bit odd in the way the universe is a bit large, and I don't get to play with rockets and explosives as much as I need to. Accidently blow up one cat and suddenly everyone thinks you're unsafe. Go figure.

Chuck is on tonight. Or at least I think it is. Haven't seen a TV schedule. Sure hope so. Makes for a nice Monday night. And I enjoy Headlines on Leno. I sure miss Leverage. UFO Hunters, too, but it won't be returning. Leverage will be.

Anyway, time to get to writing on something else. Have a great night and a wonderful tomorrow!

Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Amazon.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Barnes&Noble.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by Dewey Decimal at Lulu.com

Buy Murder by the Acre at Amazon.com.
Buy Murder by the Acre at Barnes & Noble.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at BooksAMillion.com
Buy Murder by the Acre at Lulu.com
Buy Murder by the Acre in HARDCOVER at Lulu.com.

Buy MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf Harbor

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is it that you're "working" on Floozy at the library when you're typing blog posts? Hmmm????

And no blaming it on some guy who thinks libraries might be a good place to read and like your favorite table!

We love Chuck at our house! Everyone needs to watch Chuck!! :)

Anonymous said...

How did you come up with the name Floozy?

--Gail

SBB said...

FF, at the library, I write so fast and so much that I have time to post! :)

Gail, I wasn't thinking of you! :) The explanation is in the book.