Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Anatomy of a 483

Yesterday, my blood sugar soared to 483. To help you put that in perspective if you’re unfamiliar with blood sugar levels, the healthy range is below 100. At the beginning of August, my blood sugar averaged in the low 100’s. What happened between August and now?

Several things, all of which are my fault. I made bad choices.

First, I dropped my membership to a local gym. I was only using it to walk, anyway, so I thought I could simply walk around the neighborhood and avoid the fee. I did avoid the fee, but I didn’t walk. And now I will be starting walking again tonight.

Second, I let soft drinks, particularly Dr Pepper drift back into my life. One or two occasionally wouldn’t hurt. Except it became one or two a day and then three or four a day. And now I will be drinking none again.

Third – and this is one that I didn’t have a lot of control over – my job situation changed drastically and then changed drastically again. This created a lot of stress and pressure, and instead of dealing with the stress actively, I chose TV and food. And now I’m going to be attempting to meditate, pray more, and practice other stress reduction choices.

Fourth, I made bad food choices. I had been attempting to eat one or two salads a day. That changed to one or no salad a day, and then no salad. I had a salad last night and will have salad today. Mostly I will be working on reducing my carbs. Farewell bread and sugar. Hello and welcome back, veggies and lean meat.

Fifth, even though a few of my friends expressed concern at my ways, I ignored them or overwhelmed their objections. Sorry. I’ll try not to be so bullheaded in the future.

Sixth, I had taken myself off diabetes medication because my blood sugar was doing so well. And if I had continued to watch my diet, to exercise, to get enough rest, that might have been fine. But since I didn’t, things got worse. I have to talk to my doctor on this one, but I would like to go back on oral meds, if possible, and if I haven’t done any permanent damage.

Seventh, I stopped daily testing. Money is, of course, tight, and I thought I would switch to weekly, but from weekly, it was too easy to simply drop it. Back to testing at least three times a day.

Eighth, I forgot that now and forever – unless there’s a cure someday – I am a diabetic. And diabetes is a progressive disease. I needed to be – and intend to be – fighting it each and every day. There in was the problem. I can’t beat diabetes. I can only fight it to a standstill or even make it back up some, but there will never a complete victory until there’s a cure. I have to steel myself up for the never ending battle.

I take full responsibility for my mistakes. I will also take full responsibility for fixing them. I appreciate your prayers, nagging, support, concern, tips, and friendship as I reengage the enemy. My blood sugar this morning before breakfast was 234.

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

7 comments:

Jean said...

That sounds like good, solid analysis. You know what you did wrong and how to fix it. You can do it.

I've made a conscious effort to add more salads into my diet this week, and I think it's been a big help.

There's the standby of shredded lettuce, cabbage, and carrots. I like to add a tomato and onion. Another nice addition is a small can of tuna or a bit of turkey breast.

SBB said...

Jean, I'm mostly just angry with me for allowing this to happen. I knew better, but ignored common sense. I was unmindful of my choices and my behavior. Now, I'm paying the price for that.

Do you take a multi-vitamin?

AllyKatt said...

i should bring you tea instead of dr.pepper at work. *nods*

SBB said...

Unsweetened, Ally, except for your sweet presence, of course! :)

Wendy said...

It's good that it's dropped over 200 points already. Hang in there and let us know how we can help. I'm a chronic mother hen and have been actively restraining myself from opining all over people's blogs lately!

Good thought on the salad. Maybe I'd better do that, too.

SBB said...

EJ, mother hen away! I think we all need someone watching out for us sometimes. I appreicate your concern and support.

Jean said...

I don't take a multi-vitamin. I used to use a food tracking program that gave me a solid analysis of my nutritional intake, and I am getting enough of all nutrients (unfortunately about 2.5 times what I need), so I don't worry about a multi-vitamin.

I DO, however, take triple strength Osteo Bi-Flex (glucosamine brand) for my knees and other joints, Citrical (because I don't drink much milk, and, as a premenopausal woman, I don't want to have to worry about osteoporosis), two Tylenol and two Aleve per day (those last two are one of each morning and evening).

With the Osteo Bi-Flex, Tylenol, and Aleve, that is how I keep osteoarthitis pain at bay. It works most of the time. All those are taken with a doctor's recommendation. My liver function is checked every six months (because of other medications I'm on for blood pressure and cholesterol), so I will know if the Tylenol/Aleve cocktail becomes a problem.