Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ghosts, Part 2

So you came back? Want to hear more, do ya? Look, you seem like a nice person. This isn't a story for a nice person. Maybe you shouldn't learn any more 'bout it. It's up to you. I'm giving you the choice.

I'm not saying you're afraid, mind you. After all, stories like these are as common as dirt in the Ozarks. Always some ghosts wandering here and there and raising unholy hell. But this story is different. I'll tell you the difference in a bit.

Now, where were we? Oh, yes, I remember. Now before you can understand the story, you need to know the people. The Watts family. Let's start with Jacob. Folks thought of him as a nice man when they thought of him. Nothing remarkable. He had pale blue eyes, a straight back, and a body hard from work. His father Ezrah was a drunk who fell into a pond and drown one night, but not before he gave Jacob the hard side of his hand too many times. Jacob's mother Laura died from the flu when Jacob was five, so Jacob fended for himself from then until his father finally died when he was 15. The next year he met Mattie.

Mattie was the sixth girl in a family of eleven who could only feed five well if that. Despite how poor her family was, Mattie always had a ready smile, and her green eyes and long black hair outshone her hand-me-down clothes. She helped her mother as best she could and knew how to milk the cows and shuck the corn and snap the peas. She had to leave school in the eighth grade to help the family, and every time she entered her family's overcrowded house, she had to fight down desperation.

Mattie and Jacob met at the old Arbor Creek Holiness church during a hellfire and brimstone revival when they were only 16 and 15 respectively. They married the next year, Jacob in a gray suit borrowed from his brother Sam, and Mattie in a wedding dress her cousin Ailene gave her. Their clothes didn't quite fit, but Jacob beamed and Mattie had tiny white flowers in her hair, and they were a right good lookin' couple. Everyone remarked on that.

They moved into Jacob's house up there on the hill. They fixed it up real pretty. Jacob and Mattie were young and worked hard and pinched every penny until it squealed. Maybe things would have gone differently for them if the babies hadn't started coming so fast, but they did. First, Bettie, then Nate, and finally little Davey, one right after the other. On Davey, something tore inside Mattie, and she nearly died. She spent five months in the Baptist Hospital and recovered, but she could never have any more children. And the medical bills ate them alive.

Jacob ran a few cattle on his place, raised a handful of chickens, and planted just about anything that would grow on his thirteen acres. He sold what the family didn't eat, and it had been enough until those bills started arriving. Mattie and him talked a long time about it, but finally he took a night job over at Sumark City working in a chicken plant. He'd work all night, come home, and do chores until he couldn't, then collapse.

Mattie took to sending the kids outside to play for hours so Jacob could sleep. She told them to stay in the yard and near the house, but summer heat drove them into the woods behind their house.

On a hot day in July when the sun blazed mercilessly and no wind stirred the browning grass, the children would go farther into those dark deep woods and beside a trickle of water in a rocky creek, they found the Curious Box.

And that's how it began. The nightmare that followed all started with that.

I think that's enough for tonight. I feel tired. My head hurts. I'm sorry. Come back tomorrow afternoon, about this time, when I'm closing the store. I'll tell you more if you want, but I won't think less of you if you don't. In fact ... you shouldn't. But I'll be here if you do.

Oh, that difference in this story from the other stories? The difference is this: this story is true.

Copyright 2008 by Stephen B. Bagley. All rights reserved.

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

6 comments:

AK Huckeby said...

Great start! Need to talk with you sometime about your methods...what do you do to keep it all straight...notecards, lists, what? I've never been a notecard kind of person for other things, but think it probably is best for keeping track of all the details you have to keep straight - then again, I suppose for some characters...you just know.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm all caught up on your posts and your ghost story. Will be back tomorrow (today?) if I'm not still trying to finish my Access assignment that is now late.

Wendy said...

I just moved you from my 'once-a-week' folder to my 'every day' folder. Looking forward to the next part of the story!

Anonymous said...

the store door creaks softly and Roen pokes her head in. "Hi I'm back and I brought cookies and lemonaid" She set them down on the counter and wandered around till he was ready to continue.

SBB said...

Adam, I'll be glad to share my methods such as they are. Mostly I work from three things: 1) a character list that tells me who everyone is and what they look like, 2) a scene list where I write brief descriptions of scenes I thought of and are excited to write, and 3) a list of corrections, "look-ups," etc., that I need to do later. That's about it. And of course, I try to get as many people as possible to read my writing so that they catch my mistakes and give me much needed feedback and encouragement! :)

FF, I hope you do. Sorry life is making things so busy for you lately.

EJ, that's so encouraging! Thanks!

Roen, as long as you're ready, I'll be ready. Eventually! (And I could do with some lemonade and cookies! Drive on down and deliver them!)

Jean said...

Still reading.