Monday, April 20, 2009

I don't know. Yet.

So basically I don't know. That's going to be my answer for a while. For any question, I'm going to answer: I don't know.

I don't know how to fix the economy, but we should. Why are we going to make our children and their children pay our debt?

I don't know how to fix the environment, but we should. Why are we going to make our children and their children clean up our mess?

I don't know how to feed the starving children, but we should. Why are we letting children die?

I don't how to heal the sick, but we should. Why are we withholding care when we could ease suffering worldwide and in our own towns?

I don't know how to get us to stop killing each other, but we should. Why do we claim to be better than animals when we live by the law of teeth and claw?

I don't how to get us to tolerate beliefs different from our own, but we should. Why are we so afraid of what we don't know?

I don't know how to we can learn to love each other, but we should. Why is that so hard for us?

I don't know the answers. I'm tired of pretending I do. I'm exhausted from all the fighting and arguing and shouting and planning and recruiting and voting and all the other stuff we do. And I'm sick of all those people with their terribly concrete beliefs who won't be changed by any facts to the contrary because how it is now is how it's going to be because they won't change.

So I don't know. Can't think of how, what, where, who or why. For a while, I'm just going to be.

I'm going sit and not think and not fight and not argue and not shout and not plan and not recruit and not vote and not do all that other stuff.

For a while, I'm going to simply be.

And then I'm going to get up and we'll see what we will see. And if that don't cause a zero in your bones, you're not reading this close enough.


Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order MBTA & MBDD items and more at Oakleaf

6 comments:

Jean said...

I don't know. Those are excellent questions that don't seem to have any answers.

The concrete "my answer is the only one" is a problem.

The plastic bag question is bugging me these days. I don't like plastic bags. I want paper bags. Reusable are fine, but remembering to bring them and having enough for all the shopping is a problem. It could really limit impulse purchases. I came in for milk and eggs, so I only brought one bag. I would have bought another $30 of impulse purchases, but I didn't have enough bags. Sorry. I know it's cultural, but it bugs me. What bugs me more is the recent threat of a seven cent tax per bag. If they're gonna do that, I better have some say in how they pack those bags. I get way too many of those stupid things with one small item in it.

etc said...

Jean, I agree with you. It seems that most of the bags end up as litter stuck against fences or up in trees, etc. I saw a Discovery Channel show about all the plastic in the oceans that originated from our trash, and it never goes away! I try to use the reusables, but have trouble remembering to take them, too. But I try to do my part and recycle everything I can.

Bennett 6 said...

Ah yes... the "one item per bag" rule at Wal-Mart. When the wife and I go through that Mega-mess store, we always do the self-checkout. That way we pack what we want, how we want. Another good place for this is Aldi's. You pay for the bags you need, or you bring your own... either way. You could even bring cardboard boxes, if that's your preference. They also have you put a quarter into the little thing on the shopping cart, in order to unlock it from the rest. You do get your quarter back when you return the buggy to it's place. This reduces time that the employees have to be out policing the parking lot for buggies. It's also fun for my kids to put up carts that people have left out, and collect the quarters. "Enterprising", I call it. They are more eager to do something if they'll get a quarter just for putting up the buggies!

I vote paper. ...and Tech, you don't get to be a concientious objector... it wouldn't fit you well.

SBB said...

I keep a canvas bag in my car. I bought it at Staples. When I bring it into the house to unload, I make a point of putting it back into my car so it will be ready for next time. So far that's worked for me.

Jean said...

I guess I could roll the extra bags and put them inside one of the bags and carry them everywhere I go. Then I would have enough...

Aldi is a European-based store, and that's the way they do it in Europe.

SBB said...

Our local Wal-Mart recycles plastic bags so we gather them up and take them down when needed.