Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Excerpt & other things

Excerpt from Dragons In Flight

     I was well on my way to a serious drunk in the Tavern of the Silver Stag when Manjarous finally found me. He walked over to me. I kicked the nearest bench back.
     "Sit down," I drawled. "Have a couple. On me. You can catch up."
     He shook his head and remained standing. "You can drown in regret if you're not careful," Manjarous said. He looked at me steadily. "Don't do it, Stefan. Don't waste your life like this."
     "How should I waste it?" I mocked him.
     "You would have saved her if you had been able," he said softly. "It's not your fault Maladora passed on."
     "Murdered," I said. "She didn't pass away. She didn't die in her bed. She didn't close her eyes and peacefully go beyond. She was murdered. She died in pain. She died wanting me ... to save her." For a moment, I felt her shuddering body again in my arms and I heard my voice pleading with her to stay with me. I would have worshiped any god who had saved her, but the gods are deaf. And cruel. They gave me magic at the same time they took away my love.
     "You couldn't save her," Manjarous said.
     "I could have sent her away," I said. "If I hadn't loved her so much ..." I fought for control of my voice. "I should have sent her away. She would be alive if I had."
     "Stefan, you don't know that," he said. "Gal'karn would not have given --"
     I waved off his words. "It's my fault." I raised my mug and drained the remaining ale. "I'm going to get drunk now. Either join me or leave me alone." I held up the mug so that the barmaid would see I needed a refill.
     Manjarous frowned and shook his head. "Stubborn fool." He sighed. "Try to get back before dawn. Even you need sleep." He walked away and left me with my regrets.

-- Excerpt from Dragons In Flight, Copyright 2009 Stephen B. Bagley

***
Dragons In Flight is the sequel to Dragons Gather. Yeah, I know it's weird to be jotting down notes and scenes for the sequel to an unfinished book, but I'd rather get that information down where I can find it later.
***
A long day at work. Having a lot of trouble with my stomach. I think I'm reacting to the Plaquenil. Going to talk to the doctor about it. Maybe reduce the dose or find something else.
***
I'm going to be off work tomorrow afternoon and Friday. Taking some "me" time. I'm going to work on finishing 75 Dates for $25 or Less! I'm ready to have it finished. I need to add another -- Lord help me -- thousand words to it for it to be length we need. Gail has done the majority of the work on the book so it's only fair that I finish it up. We have big plans for the book, but we can't start them until we get it finished. And that's what I'm working on.
***
Have you stopped by the new Murder by the Acre site? I'm quite proud how it turned out. I'm going to add a few more items, but it's worth looking at, particularly if you haven't read the book yet. I have the complete first chapter there for folks to read. Go here and see what you think.
***
I've been watching UFO Hunters lately. Although I don't believe UFOs exist -- not the sense that aliens are among us -- I still find it fascinating. I wonder what the truth really is and why so many people say they've seen aliens or UFOs. Why don't I believe in UFOs? Because stellar distances are simply too vast, and physics is simply too unforgiving. I wish hyperspace, warp drive, etc., could exist, but such things are simply not possible. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect I'm not.
***
Going to call it a night now. Hope the night is good to you and that tomorrow is even better. Talk to you soon!

Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Amazon.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Barnes & Noble.com
Order Murder by the Acre in softcover from Lulu.com.
Order Murder by the Acre in hardcover only at from Lulu.com.
Order merchandise designed by Stephen B. Bagley

4 comments:

Jean said...

Nice site.

Do dragons sleep during the day? Do they have a curfew? I hope they're different from vampires (I'm kidding -- I'm sure they are).

SBB said...

Well, the dragons in my book actually refer to the members of the Circus of Dragons, but there are "real" dragons in it, also. Admittedly, the real dragons aren't much like the popular idea of dragons, but they do exist.

Kirsten said...

My fantasy-writer friend has, last I heard, pieces of about 8 books, all in the same series. Well, the first is done and the second nearly so, but the other six are in various stages. Like you said, gotta write it down so it doesn't disappear into the ether.

Hope you have a nice time on your off hours, and that your tummy feels better soon.

SBB said...

Thanks, Kirsten. And I wish your friend well!