Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Juggling hot irons

      Yes, I've gone from here more than I've been here lately. In my defense, I don't remember a time recently when I've been this busy. I've got a lot of irons in the fire, and I'm having to juggle them constantly. (I mixed my metaphors again. Don't tell the metaphor police. I don't need another simile fine.) Anyway, I'm going to try to post something every day this week.
      Of course, being busy is no excuse. We're all busy these days. I should be posting anyway, although I'd like to point out there is a lack of interesting material, too. I work, come home, write, edit, proof-read, write, sleep, and repeat the process. Throw in some World of Warcraft, a dollop of swimming, a pinch of housework and chores, and you've got the recipe for a fairly busy, but uneventful life.
      I didn't approve the distribution copy of EndlesS. I did reread it, and it's as error-free and esthetically pleasing as I can make it, but there's a poem ("The Things We Have Lost") I think I'm going to replace. As I re-read the poem, it seemed repetitive. Sometimes repeating a phrase or words can create a sense of movement, a feeling of increasing pressure, in a poem. But in this case, it seems to me like it's over-written. It's like I'm pounding the reader with my point. So I'm thinking I might replace it with another poem. I'm going to decide tonight.
      The Closer started its summer schedule last night. I think it's the best show on television. I kinda like Saving Grace, an Erudite Redneck favorite, but Holly Hunter could stand to gain some weight and the show could use some Oklahoma locations. I also thought last night's premiere was unbelievable. But hey, the show has an angel in it as a regular character so how believable do I require? Speaking of unbelievable but enjoyable, Stargate Atlantis has returned for its summer run. Friday nights are good at my house because first I watch Doctor Who and then Stargate Atlantis. Regretfully, Dr. Who only has three more episodes before its season ends.
      I'm mailing the July family newsletter today, only a couple of weeks late. I'm slowly catching up. My goal has always been to mail it the first week of the month. Maybe August or September, I'll reach it.
      My IBD has been flaring. Too much stress. I need a few days to relax and let things go. I will after I have Murder by the Acre ready for the proofreaders.
      And now it's time to get ready for work. Have a great day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't see "The Things We have Lost" as repetitive. It's sad, but an excellent poem.

Erudite Redneck said...

I think for a hard-drinking, hard-partying head case who we now know clearly ws sexually abused by a priest as a child, Holly Hunter's near-skeletal self is just right. :-)