Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Energy crisis

      Stressful days at work the past few days. Taking a lot out of me. I come home and grimly attempt to get some words. Writing takes energy; as much as I love it, I don’t have enough for it, too.
      Fulltime writers have problems. I can see that easily. No steady paychecks, constant worry about the next book, fretting over sales numbers, isolation from other people -- I can see all those drawbacks. Nothing is easy. I know that. But still … to stop having each book feel like a marathon. To be able to devote energy easily instead of stealing it from tomorrow. I now have a sleep debt that stretches into the next century.
      No complaints. After all, no one is making me do this. There is no gun to my head. I could stop. I could walk away. I have a job. I have a life, neglected as it may be lately. But I don’t. I don’t stop. It makes me crazy, this refusal to give up, this need to keep trying, this drive that brooks no refusal, that doesn’t care how sick I am or how tired or lonely or sad. Driven.
      So here I am. Thought I’d blog while I attempt to work out a scene. I have a character who is not behaving as he should. This is the last chapter. We don’t need any more false clues. It’s time for the end game. The payoff.
      Anyway, that’s what I’m doing. Murder by the Acre is coming along. I don’t think it will be finished this weekend, but maybe. Crystal has finished proofing everything except this last chapter. I’m still aiming for a publication date of June 30. And I’m waiting for another proof of EndlesS. It will be on sale June 1. I mailed the first proof copy to Trixie Tuesday. She should be receiving it soon.
      So I’ll close and go wrestle with the words. Hope things are going well in your world. Talk to you later.

3 comments:

Trixie said...

You don't stop because you really are ... a writer. You can't stop that any more than you could stop breathing. And please don't do that. Not for more than 30 seconds at a time, anyway.

Trixie said...

I have poetry!! I know what I'll be reading tonight. I can tell you I already love Creationsong. And thanks for adding the Murder by the Acre magnet. I will use that at work to help spread the word!

SBB said...

I'll try to keep breathing, Trixie! Just because you asked me to. :) I hope you enjoy the poems.