Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Length

      If you've been paying attention, you know that Murder by the Acre is over 53,000 words now, which makes it 77 percent done. That is if 68,500 turns to be the final length. I chose 68,500 as the target word goal because that was the length of Murder by Dewey Decimal, and I thought that length worked well for MBDD. I also already have the format for that wordage.

We interrupt this post to say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRYSTAL! Repeat, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRYSTAL! This was the Emergency Birthday Broadcasting System. We now return you to your regularly scheduled post.

      So I thought it would be good if MBTA's length also was about the same as MBDD. However, I am prepared to go longer if the story requires it. At this point, I'm not sure how it will go. The subplots and subthemes and main plot and theme all seem to be converging a bit slower than I expected. I'm prepared to go as high as 75,000 words, but if it tries to go over, then I'll have to rethink some things. I think 75,000 is about the limit for a cozy to keep a reader's interest. At least, it's my limit.
       But it may come in at 68,500. I've noticed that whatever length I've primed myself for, that's usually what I end up writing. So we'll just stay fluid and see what the story needs.

We interrupt this post to say: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRYSTAL! Repeat, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRYSTAL! This was the Emergency Birthday Broadcasting System. We now return you to your regularly scheduled post.

      In other news, there isn't any. I've been spending almost all my time writing. That's it. And when I'm done writing, I like to get up and get away from my computer for a while.
      By the way, Murder by the Acre merchandise is now available at Cafepress. You'll find t-shirts, caps, tote bags, magnets, boxes, etc. More is coming as I have time.
      And now I need to close and get to work. Have a great day!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So my birthday IS an emergency situation. I knew it! I thought I was the only one that felt that sense of impending doom. Is there a cellar you can go to for this? Or a bar? Or a bar in a cellar?

Crystal

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRYSTAL!!! :) Don't think of it as an emergency - think of it as an opportunity to party! :)

Anonymous said...

As long as your not as old as TECH you'll be OK Crystal. :) Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Gloria. I will try to remember that!

:( But, Wonder Boy, I AM older than Tech, by a few months. (sigh)



Crystal

SBB said...

Crystal, Gloria has the right idea! Party!

Slym ... I'm going to have to hire someone to break your knees, you do know that, right? :)

Crystal, I just want to say that you look only a month or two older than me ... :)

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHHHH!

Crystal

Trixie said...

Happy birthday, Crystal!! Celebrate good times! Come on!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Crystal! Having a party for you at my place. :)

Erudite Redneck said...

Happy B, to C. Pretty soon, you really be an old friend. ;-) Hee hee.

Anonymous said...

I almost missed that, ER. Thanks. (I think.) :)

Crystal