Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Blame Holly Lisle

      I'm exhausted today, and it's all Holly Lisle's fault. The woman is ruthless and doesn't care what havoc she wreaks on her readers' lives.
      Let me explain. Over the past few weeks, I've been building a pile of books that I'm going to read as soon as Murder by the Acre is finished. It's my reward for all these weeks of writing. In that pile was The Ruby Key, Holly Lisle's new children's fantasy novel. I confess right here and now that I mostly bought it to support Holly rather than any desire to read a children's fantasy novel.
      Last night, at 11:00, I got ready for bed and then thought I'd read -- just a little -- to put me to sleep. I picked up The Ruby Key. I thought that I would just read a chapter or two, and then I could put it down. At 1:30 a.m. I looked up and realized that I had to put it down and go to sleep if I wanted to function today at all. But I laid awake another thirty minutes thinking about Genna and Dan's quest. And that cat who accompanies them.
      I tell you now that it's a very good book. I'll do a review when I'm finished -- which will probably be tonight, Lord help me. How could Holly do this to me? Why would she write such an enthralling fantasy if she had any concern for our schedules? I can hear her laughing as her reader slaves bring her grapes and chocolate meltaways. She's holding a Staff of Power! I can see her! Or I could be having sleep deprived hallucinations.
      Either way, I recommend you go and buy The Ruby Key immediately. Why should I be the only one not getting his rest?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the ol' rationalize-yourself-into-a-stupor problem. Also common with movies, like "Becoming Jane," which I stayed up too late for on Saturday night. :)

Just think, you can use The Ruby Key to get Mikey addicted, too! ;)

Anonymous said...

I've done that with books. But at my age, a book has to be especially good to keep me up! :)

The Ruby Key looks good. Is it anything like Harry Potter?

SBB said...

FF, Mikey's still a bit young for The Ruby Key, but when he's older, it would be cool to read it with him.

Gloria, I wouldn't say it was much like Harry in plot, but the feel might be same in that it has young people facing hard situations and magic is involved. It reminds me a lot of Andre Norton's best.

Kirsten said...

I did this last night, but got away with it since didn't have to be to work until after lunch. It's all about timing!

Not that I ever let an 8 am start keep me from a good book.

SBB said...

Kirsten, I try to be strong when my schedule doesn't permit as much reading as I'd like, but some books are too good to wait to read!

Holly said...

Ha! And again I say, HA!

[schlurms away, munching chocolates and wielding the Staff of Power]

Seriously, I'm so glad you liked it. Thank you for the kind review, and I'm very sorry you're not feeling well today.

SBB said...

It was a pleasure to read, Holly. (And I knew you had a Staff of Power!)