Friday, March 21, 2008

Jelly beans & things

      Have I mentioned I love jelly beans? I can eat them until I'm sick, and I still want to pop one more in my mouth. My favorite flavors this year are green apple, popcorn and grape. My least favorite is coconut. I like coconut, but the jelly bean coconut flavor is a bit bitter. It lingers in your mouth longer than it should. A girlfriend of mine long ago gave me a huge glass bowl filled with jelly beans as a gift once. I should have held on to her, but with my amazing talent in ruining relationships, I let jealousy run rampant and ran her off. She's happily married with two children now. At least I still enjoy jelly beans.
      Been a weird day. Lack of sleep kept me groggy all day. Last night I woke up at 3:30 a.m. experiencing an episode of diabetes neuropathy (nerve pain). It's rare for that to happen to me. It was concentrated in my feet. Very unpleasant. I took some Advil and walked around a bit and rubbed my feet with a warm washcloth. Eventually I was able to go back to bed around 5 a.m. Not much sleep. I was off this afternoon and had plenty to do, but after running errands and doing a bit of housework, I napped. I needed the sleep, but I need to be writing, too. Not enough hours in the day for all I need to do. Bet that sounds familiar to you. We all need more time.
      I changed the cover for Murder by the Acre a bit. The new one is below. I added the crossed shotguns. I thought it filled the cover better. What do you think?
      

      Other than working on the cover, I wasn't very productive today. I hope you were. Have a good night! Talk to you tomorrow. Here's a bit of music to end the night on.

8 comments:

AK Huckeby said...

Hey, the cover looks nice...I like the simplicity of the first book and the second book does the same. Be careful about being tempted to "fill the space" - the negative space in design is as important as the graphic/content. You might play around with looking down the barrel of a double barrel shotgun - or something more abstract like a spent shotgun shell maybe. Just some thoughts to ponder maybe... By the way, save the coconut beans...I'll eat 'em!

Anonymous said...

I think the new cover looks nice, too, but I like the idea of spent shotgun shells. You might play with that and see what you come up with.

I didn't know you liked jelly beans. A few jelly beans go a long ways for me, but I have a hard time saying "No, No, get away from me!" to peanut butter cups. Especially those deceitful little ones that say, "But I'm so little, just a few of us won't hurt. It's not like you're eating a king size Snickers bar. I'm just a little bite of sweet goodness. How can I be bad for you?" I know it's wrong, but I fall for that line every time.

Fortunately, the other voices in my head are just as loud so I can sometimes drown out the peanut butter cups. It's the only way I can get away from them.

I hate Weight Watcher's by the way. They should have a system where the one with the most points at the end of the week wins. I'd be high scorer every week!

Crystal

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I liked the other cover better. To be frank, if I hadn't just been told those were crossed shotguns, I would have thought I was looking at ink blots. The spent shells is a good idea, or just going back to the original. (Sorry, was that too frank??)

You're a real jelly bean connoisseur. I doubt I would analyze a jelly bean so thoroughly! ;)

Unknown said...

My weakness is peanut m&m's. They are even smaller than peanut butter cups and much more subversive! A large bag disappears like sugar in a rainstorm. Sigh.

Unknown said...

The book cover looks good. I agree with the comment about not filling in all the space. Maybe one shotgun with a spent shell. Just a thought. Those look like remington 870s.
I sympathize with the rough night I don't sleep well either and spent most nights in and out.

Erudite Redneck said...

Yo, dude. 1., thanks for weighing in over at my place this week; 2., don't freak if you think I've removed you from my blogroll, I just moved it to a place where I think I'll see it better, so maybe I'll come by here more often. :-)

Erudite Redneck said...

Oh, I'm a j-bean eater, too, although it irritates me that I think of R.W. Reagan almost every time I down a handful. :-)

SBB said...

Adam, my graphic skills are limited. I think the crossed shotguns are what I'm going to go with, but thanks for the ideas.

Crystal, I think your WW idea is great! Try them and see what they think. :)

FF, not too frank. But I think I'm going to go with the crossed shotguns anyway.

Amber, I'd rather have jelly beans over peanut M&Ms, but they're good, too.

As I get older, Kent, it's harder to sleep at night, but I sure can nap during the day!

ER, nice to see you drop by. And yes, I think of Reagan when I eat a handful, too, but I refuse to let that spoil my enjoyment! :)