Thursday, September 13, 2007

Report on the first book signing

      You may notice that the last post from the book signing was at 4:24 p.m. That's because from that point on, I didn't have time. People kept arriving, much to my and the librarians' surprise.
      I sold all the hardcovers I had, and I had people asking for more. And people who had already bought their book kept arriving for me to sign it. I rapidly realized something. If you're having a two-hour book signing, and you have more than 25 people show up, all of whom you're trying to connect with individually, you don't have enough time. Five minutes per person is all you have -- if people arrived like clockwork -- but they didn't. They arrived in little crowds. I actually had a line waiting for me to sign books. It was exciting, scary, exhausting, and humbling.
      People who had read the book were very supportive and complimentary, and those who hadn't yet acted excited and pleased to talk to me and have me sign their books. I gotta tell you: this was a grand experience. I wish all of you could have been with me to share it.
      Highlights:
      - A man showed up with a note on which he had written what he wanted me to write: a dedication to his daughter on her 15th birthday.
      - One wonderful lady came with a written review of the book. It spoke highly of the book and will be added to the reviews on Lulu. She also purchased an additional book for her sister out-of-state.
      - Another wonderful lady bought a book for herself and then one for her school library.
      - Many, many hugs from my friends, some of whom I hadn't seen for a couple of months.
      And here are some photos from the book signing, all taken on the various camera phones and cameras of my friends who emailed them to me. (Yes, that's me in the photos. Take a deep breath. It will help you over the shock!)



















      The rest of the photos were too blurred to post, but maybe I can clean some of them up in Photoshop and share more photos of the wonderful people who made my first book signing a success. My thanks to all of them!
      And now I'm going to call it a night. I'm tired. Y'all have a great day tomorrow.
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in paperback HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in hardcover HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal merchandise HERE!
 

11 comments:

AK Huckeby said...

Stephen! Wow, it sounds like your party was a success! I'm very excited for you and even a little inspired. (Ok, a lot inspired.) It's great to see someone doing what they love to do - even if it is a little out of the comfort zone. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about your book when I stopped by the office the other day and I look forward to the read. I'll post a review on my blog when I'm finished and email you the link.

Anonymous said...

It was exciting to see all the support for MBDD at the book signing. The library was very supportive and helpful. Stephen did a great job signing books and visiting with is adoring fans! Spread the word and maybe we can make him a best-selling author.

Trixie said...

Wow! Tech!! I'm so excited and proud for you! I cannot imagine what a heady experience this has been all the way through -- especially the book signing!

For a while I was hoping I could find a way of surprising you by showing up for the event tonight -- just could not do it as my time-space machine was on the blink. It's great to see it went so amazingly well! And it's great to have a photo of you to finally put a name and face together after all these years of blogging.

Anonymous said...

A "Woo!" and a "Hoo!" (as our favorite redneck might say!) I am so happy for you that it went so well!!!!! I was thinking about you at 2:00 (my time), did you notice?

I wish I were close enough to have even thought of surprising you like Trixie, but that ol' wrinkle in time and space thing can be SUCH a pain!

Nice to have a face to go with the name and voice. And a redhead--explains SO much. ;)

SBB said...

You're welcome, Adam, and thanks.

Thanks for your support at the book signing, ETC. You helped make it a success.

Oh Trixie, it would have been so cool if you had been able to make it! Maybe someday.

Redhead explains what, FF? WHAT?! :)

Michelle said...

Oh My Gosh! And, so ... why haven't you posted a picture of yourself before? I guess I am not understanding it. Even just a profile one. You are a handsome man, Tech.

But...I know this is about your book signing so, Congratulations!! How awesome that it went so well for you. You must have been flying on cloud 9! *hugs*

Rain said...

Isn’t wonderful when all your “hopes” come true?

{{Happy dance}}

Congratulations on your successful book signing, Tech!

{{Happy dance}}

Oh my! I find redheads very attractive ;0)

Anonymous said...

That is beyond cool! I'm so glad you had a great day. I'm at work now, so I have to keep this short, but I'll try to call you tomorrow.

Crystal

Erudite Redneck said...

"Woo," he said, adding: "Hoooooooo!" Indeed! :-)

You have your hair. And it's its natural color. I am jealous.

You look good, dude. D'you know I haven't seen your self for TWENTY years?

Conga rats!

Erudite Redneck said...

Hey, you should try a book SINGING next!

SBB said...

Michelle, you're marvelous, but near-sighted! :) Thanks for the congrats.

Thank you, Rain! (Suddenly I don't mind being red-headed...)

Thank you, Crystal! And it was great talking to you.

Singing my book, ER? Interesting idea. I'll get back to you on it. :)