Sunday, September 16, 2007

Physics, ear wax & the other great mystery

       It has occurred to me more than once -- as I'm sure it has to you -- that I'm simply one handsome guy, a prince among men. I think we're all agreed on this. Yes, we are. Don't make me come over there, bucko. You wouldn't like it.
       So I'm a prince, and my question is -- one that surely ranks up among the great questions in the universe like The Ultimate Theory of Physics and The Mystery of Ear Wax -- why isn't there some princess for me? Or truly the question is why aren't there many, many princesses for me, but we'll focus on one.
       Although I can't focus on one anymore because of what that silly judge did with his protective order. Or at least I can't focus on my attractive neighbor up the street who has taken to wearing a black sack that completely covers her from head to toe, only comes out at night, and carries mace (an actual spiked club, not the pepper spray) for some reason that eludes me. Or really she's eluding me. She must have been a long distance runner in high school. Sigh. Nice legs, though.
      But that's beside the point or really to the left of the point or maybe to the north of it, but I'm not sure because I was never clear on that whole north-south-east-down thing. I hate it when people give directions like: "Go south for 1.7 miles then turn to a bearing of south-east by 40 degrees and use the star Polaris to triangulate your position." I'm much better with: "Go past the Dairy Queen and turn right at the gas station with the four pumps out front and go until you see the house with the green statue of George Washington." Those are directions I can follow.
       Where was I? Oh, yeah, about that green statue of George Washington. It isn't moss that covers that concrete tribute to the Father of Our Country. (Which is an odd nickname because he didn’t have any children, and did anyone ever think that just maybe he resented that nickname and wanted to be called Bubba or Red?) Anyway, the statue's owner got tired of people writing graffiti on Bubba Washington so he painted it bright lime green, going on the theory that anything that was painted on it could only improve it from that point on. Perversely, it hasn't been defaced since.
       But I keep thinking that wasn't what I was talking about earlier, but to find out, I'd have to stop and go back and re-read what I wrote, and frankly I think you should do it and tell me so that I wouldn't have to. I'm tired.
       Fine. Give me a moment. I have to do everything around here. Oh yeah, why isn't there a woman for me? It's an unanswerable question, although a girl once told me that it was because I couldn’t focus on anything for very long, but that doesn't sound right. Just ask my neighbor up the street.

Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in paperback HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in hardcover HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal merchandise HERE!
 

15 comments:

Trixie said...

This is scary, because the other day at work we were looking at a particularly peculiar pairing in the wedding announcements. (I wish I could post it without, you know, making direct fun of the people involved.) So my comment was, there's a lid for every pot, and that woman just took mine. (In jest, mind you, as this particular lid and pot were clearly made for each other and no others.) And I was bemoaning the fact that I had not yet found my pot or lid, as the case may be, and someone asked me if I wanted mine as a 50 or two 25s. And I had to think about whether I really wanted the change back. And then later when I went to the movie, ALONE, I figured either deal would be better than laughing in the dark ALONE.
Anyway, if you figure it out, have George Daddy-O give me a call.

Anonymous said...

It's very clear, Trixie, that you have never looked in my cabinets, or you would have seen that indeed not every pot has a lid. And even if it does have a lid, it doesn't fit the pot I want to cook in. (sigh) This metaphor is starting to depress me. Perhaps we should focus on Tech's mysterious ear wax instead.

Crystal

SBB said...

I meant this more to be funny than serious, but it's just another indication about how isolated modern life is. I think we should all get together and party this isolate away! I'll bring the chips and dip.

Gloria Williams said...

I thought it was funny, Tech!

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of looking for a commoner, Your Highness? ;)

SBB said...

A COMMONER?! I nearly choked on my crumpet!

Trixie said...

PAR-TAY! Most recently published author pays!

SBB said...

PAR -- What? What was that about paying?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Tech would be willing to pay when he sells that 50,000th copy of MBDD, right Tech?

SBB said...

Exactly, ETC! When I sell my 50,000th copy, I will throw a huge party!

Anonymous said...

Does that include my airfare to get to the par-tay? :D

SBB said...

Yes, FF, if I sell 50,000 copies of MBDD, I'll fly you here!

Anonymous said...

Yippee! :) :) :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, if FF gets to be flown in, I think you should at least send a limo around to pick up your friends in Oklahoma!

Crystal

SBB said...

Fine, if I sell 50,000 copies of MBDD, I'll send a limo around for my friends in Oklahoma!