Sunday, September 02, 2007

Diabetes: Tips & lessons learned

       In the past few months, I've learned a few things about diabetes. While each diabetic is different, I thought what I had learned may help others if they ever have to deal with it. Here are a few tips and lessons learned.
       First lesson: Diabetes cannot be ignored. You must deal with it. Diabetes will kill you painfully if you don't.
       Tip 1: Give up soft drinks. Even the diet drinks have been shown to impact blood sugar levels. A slice of lemon helps water immeasurably. Drink water.
       Second lesson: Diabetes will change your life, but it won't ruin it. It is a huge lifestyle change, but it is doable. Many people before you have controlled the disease, and you will, too.
       Tip 2: Salads and non-starchy green veggies are your friends. Eat a salad at lunch and supper with a no carb dressing.
       Third lesson: No one will take care of your health as good as you can. You must research, you must experiment, you must devote yourself to controlling diabetes. It's a wily opponent so you have to be smart.
       Tip 3: Many diet plans, such as South Beach, have low carb frozen dinners that are compatible with your diabetic diet. Take advantage of these delicious choices.
       Fourth lesson: Don't be afraid of the lifestyle changes. Yes, they're upsetting. Yes, they take work. Yes, you will be living a more mindful life, but isn't that what we're supposed to be doing down here? Being mindful and wise?
       Tip 4: Take your blood sugar often, and track your results. See what foods affect your blood sugar and how. Each person is different, but by careful monitoring, you can build a menu of food that help you control your diabetes.
       Fifth lesson: Most people don't know much about diabetes. I certainly didn't. And the bad advice I received from people was amazing. For instance, one lady told me that I should eat more potatoes to control my blood sugar. Another person told me that diabetes was "no big thing" and didn't deserve the attention I was giving it. Both were completely wrong.
       Tip 5: Visit your local library. There are many websites, magazines, and books devoted to diabetes. Your local librarian can help you find the information you need.
       Sixth lesson: You need support. Many local hospitals offer free diabetes classes and support groups. Use them.
       Tip 6: Start today. Don't put it off. Make one change each day, and soon you will find that you are living a healthy life.

Read previous articles on The Treatment of Diabetes, Blood Tests & Diabetes, Symptoms of Diabetes and What is Diabetes.

For individual health care questions, consult your doctor. For more information about diabetes, visit the website for the American Diabetes Association.
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in paperback HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal in hardcover HERE!
 
Order Murder by Dewey Decimal merchandise HERE!
 

4 comments:

Trixie said...

Tech, you have a job as a diabetes educator in your future. You've done another excellent job of educating me and motivating me -- just what I need to read on this fine Labor Day morning. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Rain said...

For me giving up soda was so difficult! Then some of my weight started dropping off and that is always encouraging :)

I try and plan for special occassions such as holidays, birthdays, etc., so that I will not feel left out or deprived of any goodies. I will pick ONE dessert (usually something with fruit) and enjoy it to my hearts content!

If you like sweets may I suggest The Big Book of Diabetic Desserts by Jackie Mills. ISBN1580402747 published by The American Diabetes Association. Yummy!

Hang in there Tech, you can do this! ((hugs))

Jean said...

And wouldn't these changes make sense for non-diabetics, too?

I know several of the things you mention would just help me eat a healthier diet, and that's not such a bad thing.

SBB said...

Trixie, you're very welcome. I'm glad I could help.

Thanks for the books suggestion and the support, Rain. You're a doll!

Good point, Jean. A lot of the diabetic diet is simply making better, healthier food choices.