Saturday, February 03, 2007

What was I doing last night?

      I did no writing last night. I did no housework. I didn't work on the family newsletters. I didn't watch TV. I wasn't online. I wasn't sleeping. No, what I was doing was cleaning my keyboard after I spilled a full glass of cranberry-mixed-berry-green tea on it.
      It was a terrible mess. I cleaned up the keyboard the first time and thought it would be okay. Then keys started do all sorts of things. I pressed shift and the computer tried to log me off. I pressed the left enter key and the media player started. I took the back off of the keyboard and found more liquid. I cleaned that up and tried again. Then keys started to stick. So I did in the last place what I should have done in the first place: I took the keyboard completely apart, washed all the non-electronic parts, cleaned the electronic parts, put it back together, and after a few more adjustments this morning, it's working. I do understand why people say that if you spill sticky stuff on your keyboard, you should just buy a new keyboard because it took three or four hours to get it completely cleaned. However, as always, I'm broke, so I was willing to spend the evening fixing it.
      It was quite an involved production. I used distilled water, cotton swabs, toothpicks, alcohol, facial tissue, paper towels, lint-free wipes, compressed air and a blow dryer to clean it. It was interesting, though, to poke into its innards. I've always enjoyed taking things apart. Sometimes I actually get them put back together. And wonder of wonders, they work. Go figure.
      Today I've not done much other than mess with the keyboard and do some laundry. I need to be writing and will as soon as I post this. In fact, I think I will do that a bit and come back later. Talk to you then.

4 comments:

Jean said...

There is value in knowing how things work. Yeah, it may have been cheaper to buy one, but you also learned what makes a keyboard tick, and that wasn't a waste of time.

Michelle said...

Glad you got it fixed. :)

Happy Weekend!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to put it back together. It would have been a boring weekend without you. ;)

My nephew used to take things apart--drove my sister nuts. Now my son is doing the same, including the part about not taking notes about how it came apart. :)

SBB said...

I agree, Jean.

Happy Weekend to you, too, Michelle.

FF, maybe your son wants to be an engineer. That would be cool. We need more people who actually make things.