Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Musical thoughts

      I recently watched Rent. If you like musicals, it's an okay show with a so-so storyline but several really strong songs. If it bothers you that people suddenly break into song backed up a full orchestra, naturally you won't like it.
      My family is musical. We had voice lessons when we were children and sang endlessly at church and school. I have a great appreciation for music and enjoy many musicals. Especially the great ones, like Man of La Mancha, Into the Woods, Mame, Oklahoma (naturally), Godspell, Passion, Chorus Line, Cabaret, etc.
      Frankly, I've never really trusted people who can't respond to musicals. I always wonder what they lack in their souls. How sad their worldview must be when it can't admit music and wonder in their lives. I've known many people who like to sneer at musicals. I wonder if they realize that I pity them because of all they miss, and worse, because of all they're incapable of understanding.
      Of course, we don't live in a musical world. We live in a world of senseless wars, drive-by shootings, murderer martyrs, child molesters and serial killers and a thousand horrors that we accept as being the real world. We shake our heads and boast of our wisdom and maturity as we despoil the environment and let thousands of children die each day of starvation while we stuff another Big Mac down our gaping maws as the right-wing Lauras and Rushs give us the moral justification for sitting on our big fat butts. You think I don't understand what this world is? I understand better than you ever could realize. I watch the parade of broken lives and senseless sorrows and I rage.
      So for a few minutes, I like to pretend that a better world exists somewhere where people sing of their dreams and can express their love in a song with an invisible orchestra that accompanies them on cue. I like to think that maybe dreams matter and the good guys win and we are capable of being more than stupid creatures that even shame the apes.
      Sometimes I wonder if we're the fallen angels, cast out of heaven because of our greed and selfishness, our hatred and pettiness. And that maybe that spark of heaven in our soul still longs to fly, to throw ourselves into the river of stars, to be in His overwhelming presence again. And we can't so we lift up our voices and our songs spiral up, above the clouds into the black sky and the endless light beyond.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

breaks into song with a full musical back ground "And I am I Don ..." Ok I can't sing but my mind does wonderful things. Love musicals myself. May the wild winds of fortune blow your way today.
Roen

SBB said...

Thanks, Roen. Same to you. Hey is your son reading the Defenders page? I've been meaning to ask.

Rowan Asterion said...

You forgot anything where Julie Andrews sings. :)

SBB said...

I'm not a great fan of her musicals, but I do like Darling Lili. And she has a wonderful voice.

CrystalDiggory said...

I'm not a big fan of musicals (don't pity me!), but every now and then I find one I like. Can you guess which one this musical is from?

Night-time sharpens,
heightens each sensation . . .
Darkness stirs and
wakes imagination . . .
Silently the senses
abandon their defences . . .

Slowly, gently
night unfurls its splendour . . .
Grasp it, sense it -
tremulous and tender . . .
Turn your face away
from the garish light of day,
turn your thoughts away
from cold, unfeeling light -
and listen to
the music of the night . . .

Close your eyes
and surrender to your
darkest dreams!
Purge your thoughts
of the life
you knew before!
Close your eyes,
let your spirit
start to soar!
And you'll live
as you've never
lived before . . .

Softly, deftly,
music shall surround you . . .
Feel it, hear it,
closing in around you . . .
Open up your mind,
let your fantasies unwind,
in this darkness which
you know you cannot fight -
the darkness of
the music of the night . . .

Let your mind
start a journey through a
strange new world!
Leave all thoughts
of the world
you knew before!
Let your soul
Take you where you
long to be !
Only then
can you belong
to me . . .

Floating, falling,
sweet intoxication!
Touch me, trust me
savour each sensation!
Let the dream begin,
let your darker side give in
to the power of the music that I write -
the power of the music of the night . . .

SBB said...

I know what musical it's from, but I'll let someone answer. (I didn't much care for that musical, though. It went on forever.)

Anonymous said...

I know! I know! But it was too easy for me, so I'll also let someone else answer. :)

I like musicals, too. Being the romantic sucker that I am, my favorite song from "Man of La Mancha" is "Dulcinea."

A lot of music that I like came from musicals. Though it's beyond me why "They Call the Wind Maria" keeps running through my head these days. I sang it my freshman year of choir HS, but not since. Maybe I'm feeling firey because in the song the fire is named, Jo, my own nickname. ;)

SBB said...

Man of La Mancha produced a lot of good songs, including "The Impossible Dream," one of my favorites.