Thursday, October 19, 2006

Between

Between here and then, we exist
in that moment when our lips met
when the heat rose until we burned
all the live long night

Then we loved each other
imperfectly. Our jagged edges
tore apart what struggled to grow
and we were helpless then.

Now we love other people
as best we can. Smoothing over
hurts and sorrows with imperfect lies
we pretend ourselves content now

But if you called me if you wrote me
if you sent hunger blazing
across the endless night
I would choose joyous imperfection

For all our faults for all the fights
for all the words we shouldn't have said
for all the pain we caused for all the tears
I would still throw myself into your flames

But we're past that with different lives
and different lies and many miles long past
All that's left of us, the forgotten inferno
is only embers now in the between

Copyright 2006. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am feeling this...wonderful poem!

Michelle said...

I can feel that too. Very nice Tech.

SBB said...

Thank you Rain!

Thank you Michelle!

:)