Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What's happening

      Crystal said in her comment on the last post that, since my play was written, I should have plenty of time to blog. I am Laughing Out Loud. I am Rolling On The Floor. I am Weeping Hysterically And Contracting A Hit On Her. Because now I have no time at time.
      Of course, she knows this. She's just having a little joke. Just sharing her humor with all of us. And tormenting me unmercifully. A win-win in her book, I'm sure.
      Yes, the play is done except for one more polish edit that I will do tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow afternoon the play will go to the local printer to be duplicated and bound. Then I will hold a finished script in my hands, filled with pride, open it up and run my hands over its pages, and at that moment, I will realize the title is misspelled. Or several pages are missing. Or some glaring plot hole that will swallow the play. Nothing is perfect in this world, and all you can do is fix what you can find and trust that you write well enough that the audience will forgive the errors.
      And they will. As long as you entertain them or move them to some emotion or make them laugh, most of them will forgive plot holes big enough to drive a semi through. Of course, they will talk about the flaws later, but they won't demand their money back or attempt to beat you with sticks because you wasted a couple of hours of their time. Someone once said -- and I'm too lazy to look up who, but it was someone who went around saying things like this -- that the audience will forgive everything except boredom. I've always found that to be true.
      Crystal, by the way, has been invaluable in being my reader and editor for the play. She improved the play immensely by her corrections and suggestions. When I'm rich and famous, I will remember her fondly and wave to her as I drive by in my limo.
      But I digress. The topic was my lack of time even though the writing is finished. As you know, I'm directing the play. In a community theater -- at least in this one -- that means I will be responsible for seeing to it that the actors know what to do and say on stage, that the programs and posters are made and printed, that the set is built and decorated, that the actors have adequate rehearsal time, that all the tech requirements (lighting, sound, special effects, etc.) are met, that the local newspaper and radio stations have publicity material, and so on. Naturally, I won't be doing this alone. The cast and crew will help tremendously, but they all depend on me to point them in the right direction.
      Somewhere in all this madness, I need to plot my novel for National Novel Writing Month in November. And put out four family newsletters. And continue my back therapy. And all the day-to-day stuff that we all have to do, like our jobs, laundry, etc. And of course, blog.
      It's weird, but when I confront a list like this, instead of being dismayed, I find myself looking forward. There's a real joy in being able to handle what's thrown at you, to rising to meet it. It gets my juices going. There's almost an exhilaration to it.
      Well, the penultimate edit of the play is now printing. When it finishes, I'll just have one more polish edit, and then it will be ready to be duplicated and bound. I'm looking forward to that.
      I hope you are doing well. I hope you have a great tomorrow. I wish you lived near me so that you could help me do all this stuff! Good night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to know you are still alive, just buried under all your chores. I thought that you did all that extra play stuff before, why should it be diffrent when you are Director and can move the pawns too?
Roen

CrystalDiggory said...

But I was right! You did have time to blog! :)

SBB said...

Yup, Roen, I'm still alive. And trust me, directing those pawns is a hard job. Particularly since those pawns don't always move like you want them to!

SBB said...

Yes, Crystal, you were right. I know me saying that will make your day! :)

Unknown said...

that's it. since you're so strong to do all that, i'm withholding my support vices.

just a little.

SBB said...

Yikes, Joel! I need those vibes! Don't abandon me! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow crystal it made my day to hear you were right.
Roen

SBB said...

::frowns at Roen:: Hey, don't take her side!