Monday, June 05, 2006

Rainy Monday

      More rain, thank God. Not a lot, not even a half inch, but it's some moisture, and we need it. Some thunder and a little lightning. It's supposed to clear off later today, more's the pity.
      You may have realized that I've been mentioning the weather a lot here lately. This is tornado season here in Oklahoma, and a lot of us watch the skies these days. Of course, you can have tornadoes at almost any time of the year, but when it gets really hot or really cold, it's almost impossible.
      I don't have much else to add this morning. I blogged last night, and frankly my life isn't all that exciting. I am reading an interesting series of books about a wizard in Chicago, written by Jim Butcher. I've read Storm Front, Fool Moon and just started Grave Peril. If my computer doesn't arrive soon, I will have made my way through the pile of books waiting to be read.
      I'm hoping to get out with my camera this weekend and take some photos that I will post here. I keep seeing things that I think would make good pictures.
      If you read last night's post, then you know the local theater group will be doing my play Murder at the Witch's Cottage in October. I guess I will be directing it. I had hoped to get someone else to direct it, but no one stepped forward. The group seemed quite content to have me do it. That means the month of October will be booked solid for me. And naturally I intend on doing National Novel Writing Month again in November. So that's another month booked. And I will be directing the Easter play The Vigil in March 2007. Three months down. Somewhere in there, I want to finish Darkness, Oklahoma and Dragons Gather. And I want to put together a book of my humor pieces, something I've already started on. More poems, of course. And I've got to continue my weight loss program. Throw in church activities, the family newsletter, poems, this blog, the Great Slim Down blog, the 100 or so emails I send a week, my fish, my plants, books I intend to read, Stargate SG-1, Lost, Stargate Atlantis, the theater group web page upkeep and changes, laundry, housework, my job, lunch with friends, my indoor and outdoor plants and a few other miscellaneous things and you have my life. Seriously I don't know I get it all done, but somehow it does.
      I got asked a few weeks back what I thought the secret of happiness is. I said and believe it’s a relationship with God and family and friends, but there’s a lot to be said for being busy, too. For working hard for something good, whether that’s a book, a play, a poem, a new recipe, a cake, a marriage, a civic group, a charity, your life. Sometimes I think people put too much emphasis on leisure – although I’ve noticed people run themselves ragged on their vacations – without acknowledging the power and worth of work.
      Well, now it’s time for me to get ready for work. Talk to you later.

5 comments:

Rain said...

Offically delurking...I have been a fan of yours since 2004. Your posts have always been a source of inspiration for me. Thank you for stopping by my site!

Trixie said...

This is an amazingly good post. There's something that spoke to me, especially near the end. I don't think the secret is "busy-ness" but "purposefulness," maybe. Finding or creating that niche in this world that only each of us can fill and doing the very best with it that we can.

This will give me much to ponder today as I go about my "busy-ness." Thanks!

SBB said...

Welcome Rain! Glad to hear from you. I hope some of my readers check out your blog. I found it very interesting and well written.

SBB said...

Thank you, Trixie. I was thinking of you some when I wrote it, all your knitting and how you use your time to help other people. It's a cool thing.

CrystalDiggory said...

Uh, really? You'd have let someone else direct your play if they'd offered to? Sorry, I just had to giggle a little when I read that. Please post some excerpts of the play on your blog, though. I'd love to read it.

I'm not sure what the secret to happiness is except that it's probably different things to different people. I, personally, think happiness is a choice you make and it's a wonderful, liberating thing once you realize you can choose it, no matter what your circumstances are in life.