Saturday, February 18, 2006

Between

Now, in this moment between
what was and what will come,
is the only place we can live.

I take your hand. We run across
the park through the trees
laughing for no reason we can explain.

We stop beneath an old oak
trying to catch our breath
holding hands like children do.

And then my eyes linger
on your face. I reach out to
touch your cheek. You sigh.

I move close. We kiss. Your lips
taste like cherry sweet sweat.
Our bodies press together.

"It's late," you say. "I have to go."
"I know," I say. "I wish."
You nod, try to smile, and turn away.

We walk back to the motel
to our cars to our separate lives
living only in these betweens.

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful, and enchanting.

Love your poetry.

SBB said...

Thank you!

Slim said...

I like this.