Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Resolutions 2006

      I always make resolutions the first week of January. Occasionally I keep them. Once I made it all the way to March before breaking the last one. Oh well. Anyway, I think I've mentioned I like lists so here's my list (plan, resolutions) for the new year.

      1. Be a better person. As I've said before on this blog, the whole point of Christianity -- and most other religions -- is to help us be better people. We're all imperfect. But we need to be working on being better people, being more loving, more giving, more supportive and more compassionate. Well, I do, anyhow. You may be fine.
      2. Lose weight. My goal is to lose 50 pounds this year. See The Great Slim Down 2005 for reports on my progress.
      3. Finish Dragons Gather and Darkness, Oklahoma. Both books deserve to be finished.
      4. Outline a novel for the 2006 National Novel Writing Month in November. (Yes, I'm plan on doing it again. It was worth the work.)
      5. Continue my Debt Reduction Plan and play off two credit cards this year. I'm already on course to pay off one, but it would be cool if I could figure how to do another one. This leads us to number ...
      6. Make more money and help my church, family and friends. I'd like to be able to ease some of their concerns.
      7. Continue to produce my family's monthly newsletter.
      8. Continue to maintain this blog and increase its content so that it remains clickable.
      9. Write more humor and poetry, and submit it to magazines. It can't get published when it sits on my computer and remains in my head.
      10. Don't get too upset if I don't keep all of these. I'm only human. I need to be kinder to me.

      Those are my resolutions. What are yours?

12 comments:

Michelle said...

I think your number 10, is key. Great resolutions, I think.

I don't usually make any. I do strive to be a better person, regardless of the New Year and my resolutions could come to mind any time of year, depending. I liked seeing yours though, nice ones.

By the way, I paid off my last credit card the other day. :)

SBB said...

Congratulations! WOOHOO! You've escaped from credit card hell!

CrystalDiggory said...

Yay, Michelle! What a relief that must be to have that paid off. I have one more to go and my Jeep payment and I'll be out of debt.

Tech, I have so many things I want to do this year that when I started writing them down, I got overwhelmed. Instead of writing resolutions, I wrote down goals for this year. A goal seemed more attainable for me than lifelong changes. :)

Michelle said...

Thanks! It does feel really good. But I had help. I had to do some creative juggling this last year (refinancing my house etc) in order to have the extra funds each month, but I am glad I did it. :)

Now for that pesky car payment...

Gloria Williams said...

I like making resolutions myself. My list isn't as long as Tech's, but they will be hard for me. The one that will be the hardest is to re-connect with life. After the deaths of my husband and daughter, I closed down my world. Moving back to Texas near my sister has shown me that there is still life to be lived. I have to pick my life up again. I don't know what that means really, but I feel optimistic about the future for the first time in a long time. I want to thank my sister, my nieces, and Tech. They all encouraged me to keep living and not just mark time until I die. I hope we all have a wonderful 2006. I know we will!

Linda said...

I don't do resolutions. I'm starting some new things this year and I'm starting them in January just because that's when they start. But I tend to do the sort of thing resolutions do throughout the year, rather than starting them on one specific day and trying to make them last until that day next year. :)

Linda

Unknown said...

Where's the career change resolution?

Michelle said...

Thank you Randall. I have been very good this last year from keeping myself from getting back into debt. I got a savings account going, which can serve for any emergencies...keeping the tempting plastic, at bay.

jeannie diane said...

Man, do you make me feel lazy.
Crystal was the one who
intoduced me to goal setting.
I am afraid to say I have not
done very good at it.
Sorry I have not been by lately.
It's that kid thing. They keep
this old women busy.
I'll go with you on the weigh
down.. I to would like to loose
50 lbs this year..

jeannie diane said...

Hey Crystal said you could add
me to her blog, so I could post
also..Thanks,
JD

CrystalDiggory said...

I think Tech should resolve to post more often, too. :)

SBB said...

I'll send an invite out, JD! :)