Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The map of the narrative

      Last night I told you that we were going to discuss my NaNoWriMo book. So I thought I would this morning instead of trying to get a couple of hundred words on it before I go to work. (I got up late and really don't have time to get into it.) Also, I wanted to set in my mind the broad shape of the novel and look at the narrative map and see if I can get there from here.
      The book is titled Darkness, Oklahoma. It's a horror/adventure novel in the sense of the movie Aliens, i.e. facing terrible and powerful creatures but not overwhelming so. Well, maybe Aliens is the wrong comparison because you might be thinking guns and military types. Nope, this is story about a small town in Oklahoma that happens to end up being the latest battleground between good and evil.
      On the evil side, the Marked Ones, commandeered by the Senkarn, the Bone Queen. Senkarn intends to exterminate humanity. Actually, that's just a small part of her plans. Her goal is to rip the heart out of Heaven and present it as a gift to her Master.
      On the good side, we have a police chief, a nurse and a priest, who are all more than they appear, but are beset with all our human weaknesses and follies. They've been chosen to stand against the Bone Queen and evil she represents. They're helped and hindered by a saint, an ancient vampire, a coven of witches, ghosts and several more surprises, including the Triumphant Baptist Church Ladies Prayer and Quilting Circle.
      Naturally horrific moments abound as well as ones that demonstrate our capacity to rise above evil. It culminates in a battle where the fate of Darkness and the whole world hangs in the balance.
      Well, at least that's my plan. To write Darkness, Oklahoma, I had to construct a fairly detailed outline. It has a lot of plot points that have to woven together to create a coherent whole. Of course, the first thing I did was to deviate from it. (I have a streak of rebellion that runs clear through me. I am capable of rebelling even against me!) The priest, who started as a minor character in my outline, grew into a full-fledged spiritual warrior. The Bone Queen became more ... ah ... physical in her efforts. The witches turned out to have goals of their own, making them tricky allies at best. It's like trying to herd cats, but I've been ruthless. They all understand that if they move too far away from the outline, I will have cut them off. So we -- evil Power, vampire, ghosts, witches, zombies, humans, etc. -- are moving in the same direction. I think.
      It's also a love story. Yes, I know, it doesn't seem like there would be room, does there? But this battle would be full of "sound and fury, signifying nothing" if humans weren't involved. And humans fall in and out of love and generally muck things up because, hey, that's what we do.
      I won't tell you more since I don't want to spoil the story for you. (I'm hoping that several of you will be willing to read it when it's done and give me your input.)
      One last thing. Completing NaNoWriMo won't be the end of the book. I figure that the book needs between 75,000 to 100,000 words to properly tell the story, not to mention publishers seem to require that length.
      So that's what I'm working on this month. I'm sure we'll be talking about it more. I also want to give my thanks to Crystal who has already started reading the novel and providing valuable input as it barrels along. Y'all have a good day, and I'll be talking with you later.

25 comments:

CrystalDiggory said...

By the way, you didn't send me the latest, promised installment. :(

And you really should post a few excerpts here -- it's the least you could do for your cheerleading squad. :)

SBB said...

Sorry, Crystal, I was so tired last night, I just turned off the computer and went to bed. I'll send it at lunch today when I go home.

I probably won't post excerpts, but I will make chapters available as a download. Publishers consider posting things on your blog as publishing, and a lot of them won't look at your work then. However, I might post some short snippets from it. I've seen published authors (Holly Lisle, for instance) do that.

Gloria Williams said...

It sounds fascinating, but I don't see why Crystal gets to have all the fun! :(

Slim said...

Yeah, what's up with Crystal getting all the goodies? *glares at her*

The story sounds great. I love "The Bone Queen." Sounds creepy and sexy.

Michelle said...

I agree with Gloria. Crystal is the "chosen" one...golden girl. Hmmpf. Lucky her.

Very well...I will be happy with whatever. Sounds like a good story anyway.

SBB said...

Actually you shouldn't be jealous. You should pity her. She's having to suffer through a rough first draft while you guys will get to read something more polished. Truly she's taking a hit for you all.

Slim said...

Naw, I'm not buying it. I think she's paying him off somehow. Or she's blackmailing him! :)

Gloria Williams said...

They have known each other for years. Maybe she does have some dirt on him!

*looks at Crystal closely*

She looks guilty! :)

SBB said...

Uh ... this seems to have taken a disturbing turn. There is no dirt on either Crystal or myself. We have lived such pure lives that we are often held up as examples ... :)

Mark said...

Wow! great story idea, Tech! I am going to go delete mine now. Just kidding. But your's is so much better than mine it does seem hardly worth it to finish. 75,00 to 100,000 words? Oh My God. I will be lucky if I can pack the required 50,000 on mine.

Michelle said...

I don't think I am jealous, perhaps envious. Maybe that is the same thing, at any rate, it isn't mean spirited.

I for one, can't read much of anything when I am writing. It has an effect on my own imagination and thoughts and detours the turns I need to take. Since ya'll have known each other for so long, I am sure she is the best choice to understand your writing style and where you like to go within it.

Glad you are doing so well with the challenge.

Trixie said...

Oh, I'll let Crystal take the hit and help you polish it up. But I BETTER GET A SIGNED COPY! *hmph*

Slim said...

I want a signed copy too!

SBB said...

On that far-off day when I have a book actually published, you can bet that you will get a signed copy ... when you show up at the book signings! :)

Erudite Redneck said...

Dirt? Ohhhh, I got the dirt.

But Donald Trump his own self don't have the money it would take to buy it.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ho-ho-ho-hee-hee-hee ...

:-)

--ER

CrystalDiggory said...

Don't look so smug, ER. The only reason you're not tossing the dirt, is because you know we have just as much (if not more!) on you! ;)

And, for the rest of you...my secret to getting the installments is simple. You have to nag. How many of you sent him 4 or 5 personal e-mails asking to see his story? I think he sent it to me just so I'd leave him alone and he could get some writing done. Try it!

CrystalDiggory said...

(You're welcome, Tech.) ;)

SBB said...

Seriously, ER and Crystal are just kidding. There is no dirt on any of us. Other than the cross-dressing, ER is completely normal, and Crystal has been a whole new person since she escaped from prison. Literally. As for me, the aliens only visit on the weekends now instead of daily, and we've got that whole probe unpleasantness behind us now and never speak of it. So we're three completely normal people, and there's no reason for you to listen to any rumors that say otherwise.

Gloria Williams said...

LOL!

Slim said...

I want to hear those rumors! ;)

SBB said...

There ARE no rumors. No witnesses, either ...

CrystalDiggory said...

No witnesses except for you and ER....hmm..

SBB said...

Well, he's not a witness, but my lawyer does have certain materials to be released upon my death. I do write down everything, you know ... :)

CrystalDiggory said...

I believe there's a statue of limitations on anything you might have given your lawyer.

Anonymous said...

Triumphant Baptist Church Ladies Prayer and Quilting Circle--Bone Queen--werewolves, and witches and vampires Oh MY! Write faster!

--with much affection and good wishes, I love the sound of this one.