Thursday, October 13, 2005

Gift

     Speaking of my earlier post about evolution, a friend asked me how I stayed informed about so many things. Well, actually she asked, "How come you know so much about so many things and still have no common sense?" I'm assuming that was said in jest as we waited my roommate to bring me my extra car keys since I had locked the car doors with the keys inside the car -- and the engine was running.
     I can at least answer the first part and have a good idea on the second (I was dropped on my head a lot when I was child). I read a lot of books and magazines. Each month I read Popular Science, Discover, National Geographic, Smithsonian, PCWorld, PCMagazine, Scientific American, Byline, The Writer, Writer's Digest, Poet, Popular Mechanics, The New Scientist and Archaeology. I make the magazine recyclers very happy. Yes, I subscribe to them all. Why? Because they all cover subjects that interest me. And then I read at least four non-fiction books a month if I can find ones that interest me at the library. So really, if I know that much -- and actually I just know a little about a lot of things, a jack of all trades, master of none -- it's because of reading.
     I think one of the reasons I write is that I'm conscious of how reading has blessed my life. Books are a great gift to humanity and one that I wish more people took advantage of. I know so many people who simply don't read anything other than maybe the newspaper. Otherwise, it's TV all the way. If humanity is truly getting dumber as some believe, it's because we're not reading. And on that somber note, good night and have a great tomorrow.

8 comments:

Mark said...

Tech, I have love to read also. One of the great benefits of the internet is that I can find whatever i want to read about right here in my living room, in my boxer shorts.

This is what it has done for me:

I know a little bit about everything, but alas, I don't know everything about anything.

Mark said...

oops, leave that word, "have" out of my last comment.

Oh, and Frenzied, I happen to be a great cook, but I don't happen to like to do it either. Just 2 nights ago I did smothered pork chops. MMMMMMMM delicious!

Michelle said...

Mmmm pork chops.

Linda said...

You will get better with practice, since cooking is a skill, Frenzied. But whether you'll ever learn to like it, who knows. I've always loved it and if you ever need help or advice, it's one thing I have enough expertise in to actually help someone else. :)

Linda

Mark said...

I'll post it here, Frenzied.

Brown some pork chops.
Put them in a baking pan.
cover them with cream of mushroon soup.
Bake at about 350 degrees until they are tender.
Eat.

Here's a bonus: Garlic Chicken

Coat chicken pieces with oleo margarine.
sprinkle them with garlic salt
broil until done.
Eat

Told you I know a little about everything!

CrystalDiggory said...

Great recipe, Mark! I love recipes with less than six ingredients. More than that and there's too much of a chance for error for me!

Michelle said...

I don't think I will rest until I have a Pork Chop.

Linda said...

(shudder) Mama Rose COOKS. That means using real food as a base. I'd make my own mushroom sauce for the pork chops and use real garlic and olive oil for the garlic chicken. I occasionally post recipes on my blog and sometimes I wonder if anyone cares about real cooking anymore. Then I check out the food blogs and am vindicated. lol :)