Tuesday, October 25, 2005

From The Mystery of Saint Etienne

      Between reason and faith, we make our way through a hard world with edges sharp enough to wound the unwary. Oh Lord guide our steps.
      Faith is what we hold, a lamp to light our way and to let blind eyes see. Oh Lord let Your light shine on us.
      Between what is and what should be, we are stretched, a cord between two black horses. Oh Lord send to us Your mercy.
      Heaven is our hope in this world without hope. Oh Lord may we bring hope as You brought hope unto us.
      Between the precipice and the fall, we take faltering steps, children lost in the dark woods. Oh Lord give us a lodestone that points to You.
      Here we stand unclean in our souls and dark of hearts. Oh Lord send to us Your cleansing rain.
      Oh Lord we are fallen but You lift us up.
      Oh Lord we are scattered but You gather us.
      Oh Lord we are unworthy but You take us.
      We raise hands to You, a thousand thousand tongues give unto You praise, and the rocks and hills and dales resound with voices that cry,
      Hosanna,
      Hosanna,
      Hosanna.

17 comments:

Trixie said...

That's beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

CrystalDiggory said...

One of your best works...thanks for sharing it.

Gloria Williams said...

This is beautiful! Did you ever finish Mystery of Saint Etienne?

SBB said...

Wow. Once again you impress me with your memory, Gloria. "MSE" is not finished, but it is still a work in progress. For the rest of you who might not have read my first blog, The Mystery of Saint Etienne was a story told in prosetry (prose written with the conventions of poetry) about Saint Stephen (Etienne being French for Stephen). I was imspired by Calvin Miller's masterpieces, The Singer and The Song.

Slim said...

I never know what to think about poems like this that talk about God. They make me wonder if I've been missing something. It is written well, tho. That part I know. Thanks.

Michelle said...

It is beautiful. Lucky Gloria to have that experience.

Ok and on a side note...
Did you happen to notice my Daily OM for today? Talks about Hugging A Tree...

I don't think I will ever know that euphymism....

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it. I can understand this type of poetry. :)

SBB said...

I'm glad you all like it. I'll try to post more from it in the future.

SBB said...

Michelle ... is it enough to say that Tree Hugging in the context that Crystal referred to makes me blush? :) I hope so because that's all I can say!

Michelle said...

Uh..yeah..that is enough. :P I won't press it any further...I promise.

Anonymous said...

Tree hugging, eh? Michelle, I'll get the story from him and let you know! :)

SBB said...

Focus on the poem, folks, the poem! (I'm going to get Crystal for this! :) )

Michelle said...

The poem is beautiful and moving. Sorry if I diverted any attention away from it.

CrystalDiggory said...

I'm very, very worried. ;)

SBB said...

You know what would be cool, Crystal? If someone wrote a story in which Kirk and Spock chased this woman to a planet because she had been declared a Star Outlaw. That would be cool ... :)

CrystalDiggory said...

Oh, yeah, you got me. My high school serial story has finally come back to haunt me. (You waited long enough to use it!!) I'm so embarassed, it's as if my ears were turning a bright, glowing-cherry red even as I type this. (You sure you want to play this game with someone who's known you since the fifth grade??) :)

SBB said...

Crystal is alluding to the fact that in high school, when girls flirted with me, my ears would glow. Like Rudolph's nose. The girls would just flirt and flirt with me as my ears burned brightly. However, I now have a confession: I can make my ears glow at will. It was just a successful ploy on my part to get the girls to flirt with me, and boy, how Crystal could flirt!