Saturday, September 24, 2005

Come Saturday Morning

      I need to get away, I think. Go somewhere new. Maybe New Mexico or Oregon. See the ocean. Walk among the redwoods. Be quiet in a place vast. Shake the dust of my life from my clothes and walk into the morning. Do you ever feel that way?
      I heard "Come Saturday Morning" this morning. Some DJ with a sense of the appropriate. It's an escape song. A longing to go away with friends and Saturday spend to the end of the day. I've felt like that a lot lately. What about you?
      Lately I look around at my office at work and wonder at how long I've been there and why I'm still there and how long I can be there and what is yet to come. I play with the idea of getting up and walking out and getting in my car and driving as far as I can, and for a few moments, I think I can. Do you ever?
      But then I remember what I've built here and the people in it and the burdens I took up and the small joys that I've cherished and held on to. And I don't walk away, just resolve to keep keeping on because that's what I do. Do you do that, too?
      And today I did housework, wrote, watched TV, walked among the late summer flowers and felt a bit lonely but not more than I could stand, not enough to seek anyone out or call them on their cell. I listened to the hurricane reports and watched the hazy clouds and the uncertain sun. I emailed some people and answered some emails back. It was good day. Did you have a good day, too?
      And now it's time for bed. Have a good night and good tomorrow. Okay? Okay.

7 comments:

Trixie said...

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Mostly.
Yes. Serendipity is a gift from God. Maybe I'll blog about it Sunday.
OK -- you too. And thanks!

Unknown said...

"Do you ever feel that way?"

Sure. Then I take a deep breath to calm my mind and the feeling goes away.

Michelle said...

Miles of Saturday smiles...

Oregon. It's a pretty place.

And to quote something familiar, "If it be not now..."

It was a good day.

Michelle said...

That is one of my all time favorites too!

I haven't heard that in ages...

Erudite Redneck said...

Dude, remember that you don't have to go far to get away. And it doesn'tt ake long to feel better. Stroll through some woods you've never been in. Drive down a county road you've never been on. Stuff like that can work wonders. :-)

Michelle said...

That is right! Listen to Frenzied... :)

Actually, in order to get to parts of the Oregon coast you Have to go through the Redwood forest. You even get to stop at the area in which they filmed the scene from Star Wars (The first one where they are flying through the ginormous forest) It is awesome...

Lunch would be good. I wouldn't mind dishes if I had to...

Michelle said...

doing the dishes...I meant. I just messed that one up didn't I?