Sunday, August 28, 2005

Random weekend thoughts

      We've had the strangest August here. Rain and more rain when we're usually very dry. I wonder what the winter is going to be like. Wet and warm or cold and dry? Or some mixture thereof?
      Minute Maid makes a most excellent Cherry Limeade. Poured over crushed ice from my fridge, it's as good as a Sonic Cherry Limeade.
      Tina Turner's CD All the Best is great. Highly recommended if you like the lady with the best legs in the music business.
      It's such a shame that we don't have passenger blimps today. It's so cool to look up and see that huge object in the sky, floating there in seemingly full defiance of gravity.
      Talyn still hasn't arrived. I checked my local Wal-Mart for any of Holly Lisle's books as I think I read that Wal-Mart was carrying them, but no luck. Our Wal-Mart doesn't have many books, but does have hundreds of hip-hop and rap CDs. The country and rock racks are always nearly empty, but they never expand those sections. Curious stocking policy.
      If someone says he/she has no ego and is willing to do whatever is best for an organization, don't ever ever ever believe it. He/she has an ego as large as the Hindenburg and twice as volatile.
      Ego-driven people will hurt others around them and then claim they are the injured party. I saw that repeatedly this weekend. And I think a reckoning is being planned. I intend to avoid being there when the boom is lowered. People have long memories of insults and slights, and it's going to be real ugly. I can't do anything to stop it so I think I'm just going to get out of the way. Life is too short to subject yourself to bad things that you don't have to, and I have conflicting feelings on this person, anyway.
      Wal-Mart will eventually own the world, at least the part that Microsoft doesn't. I just wish they'd get it over with so that we could assume our slave duties.
      I added new scrollies and a new Quote of the Week. I also fixed two links that had changed and deleted one that didn't work anymore. I added Word Verification to the Comments. I was getting blog spammed for several comments a day. Word Verification is a good solution until we can find the spammers and subject them to torture and endless pain -- make them watch "The Real World" over and over. Well, maybe even they don't deserve that.
      $3 gasoline. Wow. Makes me sick to my stomach as I look at what the high prices are doing to my budget. It's going to be a lean Christmas.
      I wish my local library stayed open later on Saturday. It closes at one. You'd think they'd stay later on Saturday and close sooner on a weekday, but maybe they tried it in the past and it didn't work. It's probably hard to find people to work on Saturdays.
      The post office has some really cool stamps. Don't just choose the regular flag stamp that comes in the rolls. Ask to see what else they have. They all cost the same, and you might as well spend your 37 cents on stamps that feature flowers, planes, clouds, artwork, ocean life, famous Americans, historical American flags, etc. It's a small pleasure, and we all need more of those.
      I want to go to the gym five times this next week. At least that's the plan.
      People who cheat on their spouses will lie about other things, too. You can count on it.
      Chocolate-covered strawberries really are the food of the gods. Easy to make with chocolate that's made to melt in the microwave. Chocolate-covered banana chunks are good, too. Apples slices aren't good dipped in chocolate.
      We fall in love with the people we fall in love with, and that's that. Doesn't matter who is perfect for us or who would be better for us. Our wayward hearts choose, and we have to go on from there. We can waste our lives on a wrong love or choose to walk away and find a different love. Or live alone. And the last two choices aren't as terrible as they sound. They're really not.
      Too many people are unhappy in this world. They need to try to change that. Motion is almost always better than staying in an ugly room simply because it's familiar. Life is risk. Harbors are good places to rest, to learn, to heal and to relax, but life takes place out there on the boundless blue. Cast off, and let the winds fill your sails. Don't forget to write.
      Good night, and have a great week.

6 comments:

Mark said...

Walmart doesn't stock "music" with onscene lyrics and the people who like rap know that, so they get their rap from other places, because after all, there isn't any point in listening to rap if it's not obscene. Otherwise, it's just bad poetry set to tribal music, and nobody really likes that.

Gloria Williams said...

Isn't that the truth about love. Sigh.

Trixie said...

Great observations, and I love the new scrollies. It's fun to see how your mind works, Tech!

Slim said...

I've always thought blimps were cool, too. I rode in a hot air ballon once at a fair. I enjoyed it, but it was a straight up and back down trip. It was over in about 20 minutes. I would have liked a longer trip.

Mz.Elle said...

Great post!
Thanks too for the tip about cherry limeade.We watch the Sonic commercials up here and droooool over their version.Can't wait to try it out,Yum.

CrystalDiggory said...

I have always loved the idea of sailing off to the islands. The image of seeking new lands and new places has been a big part of shaping who I am.