Sunday, July 03, 2005

Bloggin' aplenty 6

      Good morning! It's a beautiful sunny Sunday here. For personal reasons, I had hoped for rain this weekend and lots of it, but the sun is nice, too. Today my only project is to do the family newsletter. I'd like to have at least three pages of it done today.
      I need to get ready to go to church now. My mother always said that church was like punctuation for the week, that it signaled a beginning, that it was a reminder that each week we start anew. As I've grown older, I've come to understand what she meant.
      If I get asked -- as I sometimes do -- why I'm a Christian, it's because of the message of starting anew. Of beginning again. Of each day rising and starting over, another chance to get it right. God doesn't expect us to be perfect people; He just expects us to try to be better people. True Christianity is about growth, about learning new ways to experience joy and life. All that other stuff that people associate with it -- legalism, politics, punishment and misery -- were added by people with an agenda.
      Be back later.