Thursday, June 23, 2005

Craving

      I'm not sure if anyone will understand this, but it happens to me every spring. While some people's thoughts turn to love, mine turn to fruit and vegetables. Yes, I'm a produce freak. Lettuce, tomatoes, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, squash, spinach, broccoli, avocados, cantaloupe, watermelon, green onions ... Doesn't it just make your mouth water? It does mine. I shop in the produce like some people shop at the chocolate counter.
      My body craves produce after the long months of winter. Of course, there's hothouse produce throughout the winter now, but a lot of it tastes bland. When spring arrives and the crops start arriving, everything just perks up with flavor.
      While I enjoy steak and other meats immensely, I come closest to being a vegetarian right now.
      I like to slice yellow squash thin and layer it on a dish, sprinkling each layer with seasoning salt. Then I put a couple pats of butters on the top layer. Then microwave or bake until the butter melts and the squash reduces some. Delicious!
      You can make a great fruit dip by mixing a package of softened cream cheese and two tablespoons of orange juice until smooth. Dip chunks of watermelon and cantaloupe in it. Excellent.
      Ever had an avocado and tomato sandwich? Toast two slices of wheat bread, butter both sides, layer on slices of tomato and avocado and enjoy.
      Green onions are best when you scramble them with eggs. I remember as a kid picking baskets of them, and my mother would make a huge skillet of them for our breakfast. Incredibly good.
      Strawberries and blueberries are good by the handful, but I like to slice the strawberries thin and then put them on top of my Cheerios. Add a handful of blueberries. Tastes good, and good for you, too.
      And then of course, salads with just about every veggie you can think of. My current favorite dressing (courtesy of Weight Watchers) is simply a spray of lemon juice and then a dusting of sea salt. Low calorie, but sometimes I want more. Then I go with a low-cal raspberry dressing. And if that doesn't hit the spot, Seven Seas Viva Italian will.
      So if you're looking for me at this time of year, check out the produce aisle. I'll be the one drooling.

8 comments:

Trixie said...

I've been longing to go to the farmer's market this season and haven't managed to make it. There are several around me, as well as truck farmers who set up on corners in town. Oh, just to bite into wonderful watermelon and let the juice drip down your elbows... Mmmmm.
I think of family dinners with sliced cucumbers and onions with vinegar; sliced thick tomatoes (the big, beefy ones that you can only get if you grow them.)
Ahh, indeed, the things God grows for us are by far the best, aren't they???
Good eating!

Mark said...

I don't eat a lot of vegetables myself.
I am a carnivore.
Here's how I see it:
Look at England, yes, that tiny island in the north Atlantic....Everywhere the early English explorers went in the lands of the vegetable eaters and the rice eaters, they kicked tail! Why? Because they ate MEAT!
Okay. The analogy is a little trifling I admit. But I like meat.

Jaime said...

I eat cucumbers, zucchini, and yellow squash like they're about to disappear off the face of the earth.

Anonymous said...

I love fresh veggies and go nuts during the summer. Your WW salad can be a bit more satisfying with no more calories if you spray a spritz of olive oil spray on it with your lemon juice and sea salt. :)

night-rider said...

Darn you TECH. I think I just drooled on the keyboard!

Unknown said...

re: turn to love.

Nah. Just sex ;-)

Anonymous said...

You made me hungry! Stop that!

Gloria Williams said...

I feel this way, also. I love huge green salads with cool ranch dressing. One of my favorite places to have a meal is Golden Corral restaurant because they have a huge salad bar with lots of goodies. It's a complete meal in itself.