Friday, January 28, 2005

Waking Up On Another Planet

I woke up on another planet today
and found myself believing strange new things:
Broken hearts can heal stronger than before,
We don't have to purchase wisdom with pain,
An open hand holds more than a closed fist,
We all bleed red whatever our color,
Only fools think violence will cause peace,
And we can learn to love ourselves at last.
Perhaps you think I do not understand
the gravity of our situation.
I know the list of disasters stretches
longer than Orion's arm. Nonetheless,
I woke on another planet today
and planted a bright flag and called it hope.

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Excuse my selfishness...but I needed that one. Thanks...

Anonymous said...

Good poem!!! I love it!!!
-Texan Susan

Gloria Williams said...

This is excellent, TECH. Has it been published anywhere?

CrystalDiggory said...

Great poem! Are you going to be teaching again this fall?

night-rider said...

Your optimism shines!

Kitty said...

Tech, may I travel with you next time? I really need to wake up in a place like that -- especially in recent days . . . wonderful prose, thanks for sharing!