Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Dojo writing

      Over the past few days, I've been reading Dojo Wisdom for Writers by Jennifer Lawler. The book is subtitled "100 SIMPLE WAYS to Become a More INSPIRED, SUCCESSFUL and FEARLESS Writer."
      Nothing really new in her book in terms of writing, but the presentation rates five stars. Lawler relates such writing/martial arts lesson as "Understand what is expected of you," "Choose the path; never look back," "Accept criticism to grow," "Focus on the openings," and so on. Lawler has a simple, direct style that gives impact to her lessons. This small book is definitely worth the $13 I spent on it.
      Monday night I was lucky enough to see three Stargate: SG1 episodes that I hadn't seen before. Woohoo! These were from the sixth season, and I think I missed them during rehearsals for a full-length play that I co-wrote and directed. Quite cool to get to watch them now.
      Work continues to be more stressful than is good for me. I can't seem to regain my center, my calmness that allows me to operate as efficiently as I can. Oh well. No one's job is perfect. We all struggle sometimes. I just hope this passes soon.
      Have I mentioned that I love Uni-Ball Deluxe Micro pens? The ink flows smoothly, and the pen feels good to write with. I buy them by the dozen.
      Found an excellent site on writing plays yesterday. Playwriting 101 has lots of good information about all aspects of writing a play. A few too many "commercials," but if you're interested in writing for the stage, it's worth looking over.
      I added the Lunar News Network to my science and tech links. Good info and a nice looking site. Check it out if you're as moon struck as I am.
      I tell you now that the sun needs to shine here! I miss sunshine. I'm not a fan of fall and winter for that reason. I like light, and I like lots of it. I'd like to take some pictures of several trees in their fall finery, but it won't stop raining. Sigh. Maybe this weekend, the sun will come out. I hope so.

4 comments:

Gloria Williams said...

I will have to find that book. My writing has stalled lately. Maybe I'm missing the days of sunshine, too.

Unknown said...

That book sounds interesting. I took martial arts back in college and I can see a lot of the teachings applying to writing.

Anonymous said...

If you think you don't like rain try being cooped up with two preschool boys all day!!! :( They need to go outside to play before mommie loses her everloving mind!!! :)
-Susan1

CrystalDiggory said...

We've hit Florida's other season, the dry one. Endless days of sunshine and 70-80 degree weather. We followed a few rain clouds to Miami today and I was actually glad to see the rain. I miss the thunderstorms that roll across the Oklahoma plains..The grass is always greener...:)