Saturday, October 09, 2004

I should mention ...

      ... how sick I am of my fantasy novel. I cannot wait until it is done and I have mailed it to the agent so that I can not read it for a couple of weeks.
      ... I really wish all my blogging buddies would blog daily so that I have something to read!
      ... I added a new blog "Sweat Sweat" to my Blogs of Interest links. I really like the photo this blogger from Down Under posted on Thursday. Check out her blog and be sure to pin her map.
      ... I saw Twin Falls Idaho the other night. This gentle movie about conjoined twins is thoughtful and moving. Check it out.
      ... I saw Island at the Top of the World tonight. This Walt Disney adventure film stands up well despite being over 35 years old. It also has a cool blimp in it, and I'm a sucker for blimps.
      ... I read The Forgetting Room by Nick Bantock. It's not as good as the Griffin and Sabine series, but it's interesting in its attempt to show how the present and the past are intermingled in surprising ways.
      ... I read The Art and Craft of Poetry by Michael J. Bugeja. This is an excellent reference book with hundreds of examples. Well worth reading if you're interested in writing poetry. Back when Bugeja taught journalism at my alma mater, I was one of his students. Sadly enough, I never knew about his poetry until years later.
      ... I collect boxes. Susan1 asked that in comments a few posts ago. I have over 40 wooden boxes of all types. One of my joys is finding them at antique and knick-knack stores. One of my favorite boxes is a Japanese puzzle box that you have to move hidden wooden panels to open.
      ... I continue on my diet. I hit a plateau over the past two weeks, losing ounces instead of pounds, which has been discouraging, but that's normal. If I stick to it, I will break through and continue to lose.
      ... how much I appreciate Crystal Diggory and my non-blogging friend Eric for agreeing to be first readers for my book. It's a lot of work, and I thank them for it.
      ... I hope y'all are doing well. Later.

5 comments:

SBB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
CrystalDiggory said...

Mickey Bugeja! I haven't heard that name in years! Is the book a recent one? I knew he wrote poetry and he also wrote a couple articles for Writer's Digest.

SBB said...

No, it's not a new book. He wrote it several years ago. I ran across it in the library Friday afternoon. Bugeja was the poetry columnist for Writers Digest for a while, but not any more. WD doesn't really do that much about poetry. Probably because it doesn't pay much if any at all.

Erudite Redneck said...

I learned some major key concepts of journalism from Mickey B. Last I heard, he was head of a journalism ethics deal at a university in Ohio, Miami of Ohio maybe.

Anonymous said...

Well, what a lovely surprise to see that some of my students remember me. I'm the head of the J School at Iowa State now. Too much happening in the world for me to write poetry; I'm doing investigative work for a number of publications, and have a new book out from Oxford University Press.

I'd love to know who you are and you can email me at bugeja@iastate.edu