Monday, October 18, 2004

"Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars" & other stuff

      I highly recommend Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars. This mini-series is exciting, tragic, loving, funny, triumphant. Every time you thought the situation couldn't get more intense, they raised the stakes until the story reached a truly breathtaking conclusion tonight. I'd love to see more of Farscape, but I don't see how they could top this incredible story. It's the best thing I've seen on TV in years. I'll be buying this DVD when it comes out. It's worth seeing many times.
      My job continues to be unsettled. I do a lot of deep breathing. It's not quite panic ... yet. And maybe it won't be. A lot of things will work themselves out if we give them enough time. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.
      I continue to work on my debt reduction plan. If I hold the course, I will have my credit cards and other debts paid off in five years. It seems a long time, but it's not really. I just have to keep my eyes on the goal: Freedom.
      The book is going well. Not as fast as I hoped, but I think I will have something to send to the agent at the end of the month. It's not as polished as I hoped it would be, but I think the story is solid, and I hope it will let the agent see the story's potential.
      Crystal Diggory wrote a good essay on cheesy roadside attractions. There's a certain charm in such things, and they're always fun and good for a photo or two. I'm a fan of them almost as much as she is.
      Major cool that my old college friend "DOC" surfaced as Powersleeper on this blog and even started one of his own. I haven't spoken to him in years and wasn't even sure how to get in touch with him. Score one for the power of cyberspace. He went to the same college at the same time that Crystal, Redneck, Randall and I did. It's like a class reunion. (Randall needs a blog, too.)
      Did I mention Farscape was fantastic? Farscape was fantastic.

6 comments:

Powersleeper said...

Lots of action to start, can't wait to read the rest. Way to go Tech...

Unknown said...

Hey, blog buddy! Sending strength vibes your way regarding the job situ. It'll work out for the best. And here's a perspective on your debt: wait until you buy a house and you're looking at a 30-year mortgage. Hehehe ;-)

Trixie said...

Great first chapter! Very much looking forward to the rest of it. (Am I still in the will???)

After college one of my friends joined a chatauqua traveling show for a while. It would have been much more interesting with a little dragon!

SBB said...

Okay. Trixie is back in the will. She can have the emus and my letters, which will doubtlessly increase fantastically in value as I become famous ... ;)

Anonymous said...

Tech, I have been away for the past week and just got back to catch up on my blog reading. I read your first chapter and it was quite interesting, to say the least. I am very intrigued and can't wait to read the rest. SciFi is not my usual interest, I find it hard to follow, and sometimes the authors get caught up in creating this fantasy land that I can't quite seem to conjure in my mind. Anyway, yours was not like that at all. It was very easy to understand, and you gave just enough info about each character to make me want to know them better. Also, you wove a little intrigue and danger into the tale. I found it very good and can't wait to read more. Good luck with the publisher, but if the rest is as good as the first chap, I don't think you will need it. Susan2

SBB said...

Susan2, thank you! I'm hoping that the book will be accessible to everyone, not just fantasy readers who know the conventions of the genre. Comments like yours make me think that maybe I'm getting there.