Saturday, September 25, 2004

Last Poem for Jenny

Darkness, take my sight from me
slowly. Let the light linger.
I would close my eyes if that
would trap a moment more of her
smile, her grace, all that Jenny is.

I could not see all her life --
I knew her too late. Let me
watch these last precious moments.
Fragile she lies, her hair black
river against white pillow.

The doctor blocks my view. I move
so that I can see. Jenny's
eyes might open, and in the fading
light, she would see my face,
my lips whispering all my love.

© 2004. All rights reserved.

5 comments:

Claudine said...

now that was beautifully-written

Erudite Redneck said...

Whoa. Stark. So simple, it seems of one piece -- of one melancholy piece.

Anonymous said...

Good poem, Tech!!! But I would expect no less from you!!! :)
Susan1

Gloria Williams said...

It brought tears to my eyes, Tech. It's lovely and so powerful with such simple, direct language. I can tell you understand loss. Thank you for sharing it with us.

SBB said...

Thank you all. That poem came from a part of my life that I keep thinking I'm safely past, and then I turn a corner and there it is again. Sometimes it comes out in words.

3&8, I found that poem and enjoyed it. Thank you.