Thursday, May 20, 2004

From Red Hot Sinner Man

   "So what is your problem?" Tony asked. "What did I do to you?"
   Andrea turned away.
   He hung up the phone. "I don't love you. I don't have to love you. It's my right to not love you."
   "That's not it!" she screamed.
   "Yes, it is," he said. "You've got your feelings hurt. You've got your friends saying that I should love you, that I'm a fool to not love you. But I'm not. I just don't love you! What is so damn hard about that?" He stood and threw his phone across the room.
   She jumped and took a step toward the door but stopped.
   "I don't love you," he said, breathing hard. "Does there have to be a villain? Is your world so limited that it can't have two people who care about each other, but aren't lovers?"
   "But ... but ... but I love ... you," she whispered.
   "Okay, you love me," he said sofly. "But that doesn't mean that I love you. I wish I could. I really wish I did. But I don't."
   "Why?" she asked, but she was already running out the office door.
   "Andrea ..." he said.
   She was gone.

Copyright 2004. All rights reserved.

No comments: